Tim Brando...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

That's the per pack tax. Here is another website that breaks it down. I don't smoke but was just interested due to the whole loosie fiasco.
    http://www.cigaretprices.com/NewYork.html

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Excise tax. Doesn't include things like the "sin tax," etc. South Carolina passed a bill a few years ago that added almost a buck per pack.

You want a racial discussion? Why are menthols taxed more?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Probably Crowns. They sell for around $3 a pack

4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Are they taxed more or priced higher? I found more taxes on the NY Tax sight and you are correct, there is an additional tax in NYC above and beyond the State excise tax.

Taxes on cigarettes New York State imposes an excise tax on cigarettes at the rate of $4.35 per package of twenty cigarettes. New York City imposes a local excise tax at the rate of $1.50 per package of twenty cigarettes, bringing the combined tax rate in New York City to $5.85.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats state tax only. itsmore with federal because i remember reading it, i think another 2 or 3 bucks.

thats ridiculous.

over half the cigs sold in nyc are smuggled in according to the article.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. FLTiger

FLTiger Founding Member

I think it comes down to QB maturity and the offense. Cam did an excellent job preparing Mett last year, and I think that was because of the offense LSU runs and the maturity of Mett (who was as senior).

I read his bio and the past 11 years before coming to LSU, all of Cam's time was in the pros. His last college coaching gig was in 2001. In that 11 years we saw the proliferation of spread offenses in the colleges, and most high schools started running some form of spread.

I attribute Cam's lack of development of AJ and BH this year to "you don't know, what you don't know". If you have never coached or played in a spread offense then how do you take a freshman or sophomore QB and coach them up. I think that is why LSU kept trying to make AJ and BH into dropback passers in the "I"; because that is the offense Cam is most familiar with because of his pro background. Take a poor performing offensive line, like we had the first half of the season, and throw in inexperienced quarterbacks who are not dropback passers and you have poor QB performance.

With that said, I think maybe Cam gets it now because in the A&M game I saw some plays like the jet sweep and other things that better fit our QB talent. I think most of us agree that Cam is a smart and qualified coach, but he came to LSU with a deep void in how college offenses work these days. That as much as anything attributed to poor QB play this year.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pretty much what Cameron said. He wants to run a pro-style offense with a mobile quarterback and expected to rely heavily on the run until his young quarterbacks picked the passing game up. But the quarterbacks didn't develop fast enough. I expect Cameron wants to run a balanced, pro-style offense next year as well. But I also expect him to be ready with a spread-style Plan B, if a pro-style quarterback doesn't emerge.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That would suck. I really hate that style of offense.

9. FLTiger

FLTiger Founding Member

Agree Red55 that Cam must have a Plan B. The frustrating thing is Cam and CLM knew they didn't have a pro-style QB coming into this season. The two front runner QBs, AJ and BH, were spread QBs in high school so it would make sense to install some spread over Spring and Fall practice. I personally don't think Cam could go to Plan B this year because he isn't a spread coach. He is learning the spread on the job because he has never coached it. For Plan to work Cam will have to learn how to coach the spread and effectively call plays from it.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I liked his answers in the video speech/ Q&A session with Frank Wilson. Cam admitted that he would do things a little different if he could do it over. I think he learned a lot this past season and I expect him to be a better OC next season because of it. He still has to develop a QB for any of it to work so let's hope he has some solutions in mind.