time for controversy...?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by alumni95, Feb 2, 2004.

1. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

OK... let me first say, I love LSU, and I believe in Saint Nick C'est Bon. He is without a doubt without any competition on the college level when it comes to defensive genius. As my handle states I'm an LSU alum (from the lean years 90-95 ouch!), season ticket holder, and I was at the Sugar Bowl.

Now the controversy... (which I am sure some of you may call outright blasphemy) ...but I have one concern about Coach Saban that I wonder if anyone else has noticed. I am somewhat concerned about his clock management. There seems to be a few games in the most recent seasons (sorry, don't have the exact games) where he didn't seem to make efficient use of the clock before half time. There have been times when it appears he may be a little wishy-washy into committing whether they really want to make an attempt at moving the ball down field or just taking it in at half time. I have seen missed time out calls, then we make a play before the half, then we look unprepared and not ready, and then the clock runs out. I'm not naive and I understand the risk that you are taking and how sometimes you definitely want to just get into the locker room, take what you have and prepare for the 2nd half , but there are sometimes that just leave me scratching my head and asking "what was up with that?"

again, I don't remember the game, but I believe it was the 2002 season for sure. we got the ball back, made some plays and then just had the clock run out because of poor management. what was worse was that there was an audio clip from the post game show that went something like this:
    reporter: "Coach do you think you may have had a chance to make that score if you would have taken the timeout before half time?"
    Saban: "I didn't really think about taking the timeout, but now that I think about it, I probably should have."

this wasn't an exact quote, but if you had heard the clip it made it seem that Saban wasn't even aware that he could have taken the timeout. of course this hasn't burnt us so far but it is a bit of a concern to me. am i the only one who has thought this?

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Uuuuuuhhhhhh..........

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Wow. The guy just won us a N.C., and you state how unhappy you are with his clock management. If he wants to call 3 timeouts the first 3 plays of the game so he can get a cup of coffee it's ok with me. I'll take the glory of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and bask in it, while you whine about clock management. You know, even Bear wasn't perfect.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

2 SEC titles in 3 year, 2 #1 or top 2 Recruiting classes, Top 5 class 3 out of 4 years.

3 New Years day games,

1 National Title.

And you are nervous about clock management ??? Now you have a right to post what you want. But as far as I am concerned the only thing Saban needs to work on is his wardrobe...(The Cosby look)

Sure all of us can nit pick, I cannot tell you how many times I said "Jimbo what the hell are you calling !!!!"

But then I realized they have forgotten more about the X's and O's of football then I will ever know...

5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Before this gets out of hand let's remember to keep this on topic and insult free.

6. BB

BB Founding Member

IS THIS REAL? HAVE I BEEN ABDUCTED?

7. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

Sugarlsu...

nobody here (at least not me) is expecting perfection! and who said anything about being unhappy?? just stating my opinion (which is the point of this board).

i figured there would be responses like yours (thus the title of the thread). but instead of bashing why not offer some logical response.

although i admire your creativity, taking coffee breaks is plain ludicrous! I stated my complete respect for Coach Saban to start off with.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe Nick should get Pat Riley to make him some suits. When Riley was the Laker's coach he made his own suits.

9. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

I also stated my track record as an LSU fan, so there's no need to point out the obvious (championships, recruits, etc.)

now I agree with you Texas on a couple of your points, Coach's wardrobe may be of greater concern. also, I sure don't have any track record as a coach, or much less of an athlete. just stating something I have noticed.

10. BB

BB Founding Member

I KNEW IT! I KNEW CURLEY HALLMAN POSTED IN HERE.