time for controversy...?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by alumni95, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

On the other hand if Nick keeps coaching the way he has been I don't care if he wears a sequined Elvis jumpsuit.

2. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

at least he doesn't wear Chuck Amato's (NC State) white sunglasses!! what's up w/ that??

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Sorry if I got personal alumni95, I realize that you have many good posts in this forum. In reality, I remember the quote of which you speak. I think it was the Arkansas game last year, but anyway the situation was, they were driving to win the game and we did not take a defensive timeout. I am not convinced that at that time the proper thing to do is to give their offense a free timeout when they are driving with time running out. I believe most coaches would rather have the opposing offense feel hurried then to give them a break. Now, in retrospect, since we lost that game, we feel he should have called a timeout, but that was second guessing.

As far as pushing at the end of a half to get an extra score, there have been numerous games this past season in college and pro where that has backfired on the offense. Saban takes into consideration how we have played up to that point, and if he thinks things are not going well offensively, he would rather go in at half and make adjustments than take the risk of making a turnover. Based on his success, I don't think that I can second guess him. But, when I am in the stands, I always want to push the ball down the field, so I empathize with you.

Of course I was joking about the coffee timeouts, but I would be happy to stand on the sidelines to get his Java for him. Decaff I think!

4. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

It's a FSU thing. Pappa Bowden has the same Oakley glasses. Well not quite as big or white....

Amato was a long time assistant under Bowden

5. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

now that's what I'm talkin bout

thanks sugarlsu... that's what I was looking for, a quality response. that audio quote had just always bothered me, it just rubbed me wrong when i heard it. i guess you had to be there to understand (as you obviously do).

in the wake of all the greatness that has happened i knew I should have probably let that go, but it just bothered me.

thanks for the comment on my posts, and as you said empathizing with me about always wanting to score more.

i appreciate your post. that's what it's all about, tigerfans taking each other's back!

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Or Joe Amato's fireproof drag racing suit but if he keeps winning and thats what he wants to wear more power to him.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm afraid to ask what you think about Brady.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Nick has made a few mistakes in his 4 years at the helm of the Tigers. Let's see, uh, uhm, ooh... let me think....

of course he's not perfect but damn, sure is close. and I guess that at the point of the game you were referencing he was concerned with something going on with his offense and when he said he didn't think about calling a timeout maybe it was because he wanted the clock to run out cause we were playing so bad and that's why he said he didn't think about calling one. Can't know if we don't even know what game we are talking about.

9. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'll say this about Saban ... if we don't win the MNC next year by at least 3 TDs, we should cut Saban's salary in half. I mean, c'mon guys, we barely beat Oklahoma this year for the MNC!

If you gonna say something ridiculous, you just soon make it really, really, really ridiculous...

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

My thoughts exactly...

But serious, alumni95, I don't think Saban miss uses the clock.