Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Aug 21, 2011.
Oh yeah. Facepalm.
Those were good trivia questions.
Got any more? I'm better at answering them then I am at coming up with the questions.
1. Four Saints head coaches have either been fired or quit in mid-season. Name the four, and the coaches who served as interim head coaches.
2. Name the only former LSU player to play quarterback for the Saints.
3. Everyone knows that Ricky Jackson is the franchise's all-time sack leader. Who is second?
4. Who holds the Saints record for touchdown passes thrown by a non-quarterback?
5. On Tom Dempsey's 63-yard field goal, name the deep snapper and the holder.
I wanted to do something with shutout games, but I researched to confirm my memory, and I turned out to be wildly off. Did pick up two interesting tidbits:
6. Name the two teams that shut out the Saints in consecutive weeks, and (rather than the year), name the head coach who put such a pathetic offense on the field.
7. The Saints have never shut out back-to-back opponents, but they have shut out one opponent twice in back-to-back meetings, 3 years apart. Name this AFC team we owned in the '90s.
Man, these are hard. I will have to really think, but I wanted to respond to at least one of them now.
Believe it or not, it was not Carl Smith.
I don't know any of the answers but will take a wild guess on the following:
3. 2nd in sacks - Swilling?
4. Dalton Hilliard?
Questions on Dempsey's 63 yd FG. Were the Saints tied or down when he made the kick? Did time expire during the kick or was there any time left?
Hilliard is correct, 4 TD passes in his career.
Swilling is incorrect.
The Saints trailed 17-16 with :02 left when the ball was snapped on Dempsey's FG.
And if you think about the play leading up to this ... Al Dodd made an amazing sideline catch to put the ball at the 45. Problem was and unbeknowst to the Saints new head coach, JD Roberts, they were on their own 45. He thought we were on Detroit's 45 yd line.
BTW: Classic Saints trivia question: Burkett the snapper, Scarpetti the holder.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu73YSmtiXU]Tom Dempsey's 63-yard field goal - YouTube[/ame]
Listen for the boom of the kick.
1: Saints coaches (there were actually 5):
Tom Fears was fired in his 4th year and JD Roberts took over (and thus Dempsey's field goal)
John North was canned in his 3rd year and Ernie Hefferle took over
Dick Nolan was released after going 0-12 and Dan Stanfell coached the last few games that season
Bum Phillips was canned and his son Wade took over. That was 26 years ago and Wade is still kicking.
And Jim Mora up and quit during his last season. Rick Venturi took over.
You're right, I forgot about Nolan/Stanfell (Dick Stanfell, I believe)