Time to rest? Some B-ballers need it...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COramprat, Feb 26, 2006.

1. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I haven't really checked into it but I've read where we could be a 5-4 seed in the tourney. How badly would it hurt to sit some key players the last game to get them healthy again...even into the SEC tourney? I'm not sure our stock could be improved or hurt by a loss or two. I'd rather see a healthy team in the NCAA's than trying to push it in the last games here.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Ditto...

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

If we win the last two regular season games, we win the SEC Championship!

That's worth a try.

We need to rest during the SEC Tourney, however.

4. gumborue

gumborue Painfully Pessimistic

sit tm and tt. lower minutes played by gd and dm. give rolle, lazare and voogd 25+ min/g. lsu would likely split the remaining reg season games and good chance of winning both. you heal up all starters and strengthen the bench in the process. the seed will likely lower a spot or two and you may not win the sec, but the chance of doing well in the ncaa tourney is maximized-thats what matters. the important thing to realize is that even by playing the banged up starters the results in the remaining reg season games and sec tourney may be the same as sitting them.

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Good take. Rolle, Lazare & Voogd need minutes. Davis doesn't.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I disagree with one thing... the SEC championship matters. I agree that starters need rest and we may not be hurting ourselves too bad with USC and Ole Miss left, but USC is going to be a tough game at their home court. Tennessee still also has two tough games left, so you're war gaming a little bit about what it takes to win. I agree, TT and GD sit more and DL and MR play more. Temple is going to have to play his usual minutes, and unfortunately, depth in the backcourt hurts us. Tasmin and D.Mitch will still be playing 30+ minutes, b/c I just don't see Voogd playing 25+ minutes. He is still somewhat of a liability IMO for a lot of minutes. Here is where losing Tack is a BIG deal. Who do you play beyond Voogd? David Fleshman or Chris Johnson. CJ maybe spells Tasmin some in the Ole Miss game.

While I think playing well in the NCAAs is paramount, when you have a chance to win your conference, and that hasn't been done since 2000 (and that was a tie for first), you go for it. Very winnable games in the last two, too. It wraps up COY for Brady, POY for Davis or Mitchell, and other accolades that perhaps the tourney doesn't deliver.

You try to win the conference, don't embarass yourself in the SEC tourney (but rest your players some more there), and then give it your all in the NCAAs.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs:

7. gumborue

gumborue Painfully Pessimistic

its a bit silly for us to be talking about this with the very little info we have, but i guess that hasnt stopped us before.

yes the sec championship matters, but not at the expense of ncaa chances. with injuries like bad back and high ankle sprains youre playing with fire having them play. certainly you play them if lsu were on the bubble but all the remaining games til the ncaa tourney are less than essential.

1. lsu needs all the starters at full strength to make a run in the ncaa tourney.

2. the remaining sec reg season games are winnable without the injured starters.

3. lsu needs to develop bench players for ncaa tourney.

so sit, or limit time, of the injured starters.

start voogd (1), temple (2), lazare (3), rolle (4) and davis (5). never play TT. bring in DM and TM if needed and depending on how they feel. bring in johnson and shuffle things around to spell davis. if you lose, you lose, but id bet lsu would split the next two. hopefully with rest, by the sec tourney, DM and TM would be at or near full strength and i still wouldnt touch TT (unless youre sure he's 100%).

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Brady said in his post game press conference that they will only have one workout before South Carolina. He then went on to say that they may not even do anything aside from basic preparation for Ole Miss. He said the team badly needs rest and healing now.

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Freshman

Here's a fact: if this talented yet starter-reliant team falters---again---early in the NCAAs, with starters not getting much "rest" in games against USC, Ole Miss and in the SEC Tourney, all that "Brady for COY" talk flies out the window, replaced by a fresh round of slamming the crap out of the guy for not "resting our team".

Personally, I think the "rest" talk is a bit overrated. This excludes Ty Thomas, of course, as his injury doesn't improve without some rest, but otherwise everybody is tired this time of year.

Yes, teams with superior depth can and will give LSU problems, but the flip side to sitting starters for long stretches the next 1-2 weeks is it disrupts rhythm, even conditioning.

When your primary strength is how well your starters play together, intentionally messing with a routine that's produced a 12-2 record in conference play is dangerous.

In other words, you go to the Dance (literally) with what brung ya. Everyone has to dig deep this time of year, LSU no exception.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Since when is doing well in the NCAA Tourney better than winning the SEC Championship? Isn't the SEC Championship important anymore in basketball?

See, this is why we don't need a football playoff system . . . look what the playoff system has done for basketball . . . it's not important to win the SEC Championship anymore.

Somebody help me out here.

Please explain why winning a game or two in the NCAA Tourney is more important than winning the SEC Championship.

I obviously don't know much about college basketball.