Time to rest? Some B-ballers need it...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COramprat, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Imo, the next game is the most important BUT there are more games to play. It's critical to give the frontline some rest and give minutes to DL,MR,BV,CT and the other guys on the bench. I think 1 out of 2 gives LSU the SEC outright. I'd like to see what the 2nd tier looks like against a team on the road looking to knock off a top 25 team. For CJB it's critical to win the SEC, it's a building block this young team can hang their hat on.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I agree with the second paragraph, not sure I'd go so far as the first paragraph. I think if you told me Final Four or SEC championship, I might go with Final Four... BUT my point is I'm not sure Final Four is in the cards this year. That's my assumption. I also think that the SEC Championship IS within our grasp. So, you have to try to achieve that goal, as that's within your control your destiny.

I don't think that we disagree on the plan, however. TT is out for USC (as reported today), so Lazare starts. The real question is how much time Voogd gets, and to a lesser degree, how much rest does Tas' get? I'm all for Voogd getting meatier minutes, but do you start him? I think Brady's still going to play DMitch for alot of the game, but Voogd will spell both D.Mitch and Tas', with perhaps Voogd and Temple brining the ball up more allowing D.Mitch to rest more on the court. I think if the Tigers can get a comfortable lead, then by all means, let Ben play alot.

For any chance that the Tigers have to go further in the NCAAs, I do agree with gumbo, Thomas and Tas' need to healthier. Perhaps I'd argue that Tas may be more critical than Thomas when we match up against more guard oriented teams (which is what I think we'll see).

3. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I think all resting does is risk throwing off timing and rythem of the team.

You want your team getting the kinks out heading into the tournament and lets face it. They dont play every day during the season and have time between the tournament and the big dance.

Nothing wrong with working your backups in with a few more quality minutes getting ready but i think it is important to win.

People in the real world dont get 2 and 3 days off between every time they work . I laugh at the fact that we should rest 23 year old kids because they are worn out.

After high school during the summer i blew insulation into attics and if you want to know what worn out is do that for a summer job. Playing basketball is no comparison.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We're not talking winded players, we're talking injured players.

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

You don't run up and down a basketball court or football field every day either.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree. I mean, if the selection committee views LSU the same as the national pundits (4-6 seed), then there really isn't much difference between a 4 or 6, the level of competition you're slated to play is all pretty much the same

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Play to win the SEC.

Rest during the SEC Tourney by playing only backups.

Play to win in the NCAA Tourney (but don't be too angry if we only win a game or two in the NCAA Tourney).

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Depends on how, and who they would lose to in the tourny...

If we're banged up and limp into the NCAA's and lose to someone like UConn, Michigan St. or BC, then it could be understood.... But if we're healthy and lose to someone like a George Mason, Missouri State or Air Force, then I'd be upset.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

You should have added "by most people".:grin:

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Sorry if this has already been posted/said.

I think that TT not even making the trip for the SC game makes it questionable as to when he really can or should play.