Title IX Equality question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by -T-, Feb 18, 2003.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

why can't we build a new basball stadium and renovate the pmac for the women's basketball, vollyball, and gymnastics teams? is there a law that says this can't be done. in the books, lsu would technically be making a major improvements to the 3 women's sports and a less costly improvement for a men's sport (baseball).

i don't know the rules of title xi, so could anybody give me a reason hy this doesn't happen more often?

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

The problem with the PMAC is that it is a state run building and not a university run beuilding so we can't exactly do as we wish with the building. The university is attempting to gain control of it so that the vast and costly improvments can be made since often times funds for buildings like the PMAC are cut in order to make up for shortcomings in the states overall budget.

There are plans to build a new baseball stadium and a new softball complex in the near future also. The current site of Alex Box would be possibly made into a parking garage since the "Campus Master Plan" calls for LSU's campus to be a pedistrian only campus.

I also heard a rumor that LSU may be adding Crewing (Rowing) as a women's varsity sport soon in order to help compliance with Title IX. I do know it is at least considered a Club Sport as of right now.

3. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

here is a picture of the Masterplan.

[​IMG]

4. BayouBengal

just the pic I was searching for on LSU's website. Maybe my eyesite is going bad, but it look's like Lockett Hall is no longer on the map...hmmm

5. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

lockett will be moved over to be even with Dodson Auditorium I believe

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think if you look at the picture all of the buildings that are white are new buildings. The existing buildings are gray.

7. DDTigerFan

No Lockett will be gone! Last week the man in charge of heading the Masterplan presented the masterplan to a meeting that I was a part of. He called Lockett one of the worst constructed buildings ever. The Masterplan will be a great great thing for this University. The parking garages and all parking will be on the outside of campus. They are trying to incorporate new buildings into the original campus masterplan with the use of the original Italian renaissance architecture. Anyways, if you would like to see the Masterplan for yourself check it out in a 67 slide presentation.

http://masterplan.lsu.edu/pages/info/visit8p/index.htm

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The existing Lockett will be demolished but they will add the 'new' Lockett onto Dodson. You can see the white building added on to the existing (gray) Dodson. Atleast I think that's what is added onto Dodson.

9. DDTigerFan

Yah, I thought he actually was saying they would "move" Lockett. That is correct though MikeD.

10. BayouBengal

They need to move CEBA into the middle of campus. It is far from everything except Tureaud. My student job is in the quad, thats a looong walk to class when I get off of work.