TN fan's prospective

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pooods, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Pooods

Pooods Freshman

Majors was the start of rebuilding the program again. He did a good job. Not much of a personality and from what I have read in the past he liked the bottle a little too much. Then he got accused of not being able to take our good talent and going to the next level along with letting some of the players run wild. When he got sick Fulmer walked in and the team responded well. As soon as Majors came back the team went flat and got beat by Arkansas and the Gamecocks back when neither were not supposed to beat anyone good. Johnny's health problems compounded by how the team went downhill was the reason for the firing of Majors. At the time I was like many younger football fans now and didn't see anything wrong with the new hire. With some age on me now I can see how Majors got the shaft and how Fulmer stabbed his boss in the back.

Fulmer finally got the shaft due to the team falling flat on him so it all came full circle. I was a Fulmer fan most of his time as HC but realized it was time for him to go. He inherited Majors' talent and won with it right out of the gate. This winning led HS players wanting to become a part of TN. Fulmer racked up recruits and stocked the team with depth. He won a NC with them but after we had a couple bad recruiting seasons I finally realized he wasn't that great coach and couldn't do a whole lot with average SEC players. Great players can make a coach look better than he really is. Take some average players and win and that's a real coach.

Both coaches gave their hearts to TN on the field when they played and both gave it their all as coaches and I still respect them both. I hated to see us stop looking from within for a new coach but all the new TN blood says SEC teams can't win by promoting within anymore. Dooley is not very well liked by many of our fans right now. They expect too much from too little IMO. He is a class act and I only hope he can coach but time will tell. As far as letting players run wild, I think it's almost impossible to keep a leash on all these young guys these days. I sure would hate to be a coach at a big school right now and have the responsibility of guiding these troubled kids in the proper direction.

2. Pooods

Pooods Freshman

Yes it hurt! No real fan can say a game like that didn't hurt to lose. But, it didn't hurt like several other games the Vols have lost in the past. I never expected us to possibly win so still being in the game late with you guys was good. However, I did get overwhelmed in the end at the thoughts of beating a top 10 team. I yelled out loud when the radio announcer said we won! Then he said hold on there's a flag and my happiness went back to reality. Young players and staffs make mistakes and it was a bad one. The stats show you guys dominated other than your own mistakes anyway. LSU should beat TN right now. You did and congratulations to you. Now get that offense on track so you can go to Atlanta. I will sum it up..............."BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!".

1 person likes this.
  3. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

You, sir, are the definition of a classy fan.

Thank you and good luck the rest of the season.

4. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Well, I gotta say that I hope TN gets their act together. We need Bama to play a strong east team every year!

Good luck and thanks for the posts.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Prophetic.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

No kidding. The Yahoo article actually used that phrase.

Spooky.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Izzy knows his shyt.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Meh, he needs to stay away from LSU number crunching though. Maybe this kinda thing is more his schtick.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

27 thousand posts, he was bound to get one right sooner or later. Keep posting, you're only 20 thousand away from doing the same.

10. acemic

acemic Founding Member

Well I dont believe that an SEC team cant win by promoting from within..... I hope they promote the chief to Head Coach if we have a coaching change. Im not sure how he recruits but hes a fine defensive coach. Our season wouldve been sh!tty if hes not running the show.