To me a Classless act by new OSU Coach.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Maderan, Jan 13, 2005.

1. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

houtiger,
    that maybe why Gundy is mad at Miles. hehehe!
    I hope not though

2. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Gundy will get his ass whipped every year by OU and he's jealous of Miles going to LSU.

Gundy will wind up getting fired in about three years. He'll go back to being an assistant coach or high school coach.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I have to admit that I was wrong to prejudge Les Miles in any way.

First, he signs a fair contract that, among other things, makes it unlikely he'll leave for the Michigan job (in fact, he had agreed to put language stating that he'd *never* leave to take the UM job, but LSU decided not to be that strident).

Also, I thought there was no way in hell he'd retain or even offer Jimbo Fisher the chance to stay at LSU. Specifically, I thought he'd take the small-minded, insecure path of simply getting rid of the popular Fisher so he wouldn't feel threatened by having a holdover coordinator on his staff.

Good to know that our coach isn't as penile length or testicularly challenged as Mr. Gundy is, apparently. :wink:

4. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I don't blame Gundy. I would have done the samething. What benefit is there to letting him speak to the team. I'm sure if you guys were Gundy you would have done the samething. It's Gundys team now. Plus, Miles is going after the same recruits that he was recruiting for OSU according to the local radio recruiting gurus. OSU needs to forget Miles and get on with their new program and coaching staff.

It's a weird deal, but I think Gundy did the right thing. If half the team is upset that Miles left and the other half is upset about Gundy being the new HC, nothing good can come out of Miles talking to the team. He should have met with LSU officials a day or two later than planned and met with the team then to give his talk.

Not to mention the fact Gundy and Miles don't get along.

I would think that the majority of the players know Miles cell phone # anyway and he knows theirs'. They could talk to each other that way if they really wanted to.

I think it was a good gesture on Miles' part, but kinda weird also.

There really is no good or easy way to exit or leave a program without just flat out retiring.

5. TulsaTimeTiger

TulsaTimeTiger Freshman

Very classless act by OSU for not letting Les have closure with his old team.

As I remember the timing of this, Skip's first contact with Les was right before OSU's bowl game, and then he came down for the final interview right after our bowl, stayed over till Monday for the formal announcement. Seems to me he never had a chance to meet with his team after he knew he was going to LSU.

I'm glad he at least wanted to do it, it speaks well of his integrity.

6. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Agreed. He just wanted to tell his team goodbye face to face. A class gesture if you ask me.

Gundy is a paranoid, spineless, petty chickens**t.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I think it's kind of a too little, too late move by Miles...I mean, I hate to say it, but I disagree on this one...

Miles should not be there worrying about his old team. He's taken a new job. He's turned over a new leaf. If you didn't tie up loose ends, there will be time enough for that later. As of now, there are more important matters at hand.

It doesn't put LSU in a good light that he's still dickering around in Stillwater with his old team, his old coach, his old players, and his old school.

Les, focus on your JOB...Not on your previous place of employment.

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

TE, I disagree, in the classical sense of what a coach should be. The players weren't in town when he left OSU, so there wasn't an opportunity to speak to them personally.

As the head coach, he is the leader of men. The impact he's had on these guys' lives isn't over just because he's going to a new location to lead new men. I don't guess Miles "owes" anybody at OSU anything, but it shows the character that Miles has to want to address his former players, man to man.

I don't know what a former coach says to his players in this situation, but I do know that he's going to have a bond with those guys for a long time, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to address them in person. I respect that, as that's certainly not the easy road of just abandoning the program.

I don't suspect it's anything as insidious as trying to recruit them. Rather, he's probably simply trying to be the solid leader and role model to these young men that he was the previous few years.

I like what this shows about his character. I like how this shows what his players mean to him. I like other "stuff" about this. I like the future. I think it will be very bright. :thumb:

9. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

What? His family is still there they haven't moved yet so him being in Stillwater doesn't show that he is focusing on his past employer. His focus is on LSU. Bill Clay may be coming after all. He is a man of honor and wanted to explain his decision to his players (that he recuited, molded, and tried to make better people; not to mention prob. liked) and didn't want to burn any bridges. To say that this action is misguided is simply wrong.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I make the statement knowing full well many might disagree...But, if a head coach is a leader of men...Then what are Les Miles men in Baton Rouge doing while he's fretting about the ones his job USED to entail leading, but not anymore?

It's more than just a business...But, it is a business...and the sad fact of the matter is that he needs to be worrying about OUR team, instead of one he's no longer being paid to worry about...

Did you ever see Saban going to Michigan State? Do you ever think he'll be back to visit the troops on the Ponderosa?

I just don't agree with it. We can agree to disagree, though.