Todd McShay, another ESPN idiot

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by DownOnTheBayou, Jan 1, 2010.

1. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Yeah, Cannon wasn't supposed to field the ball either, but he did...LSU won that game and he went on to win the Heisman. When you make what some think is a mistake and turn it into an incredible TD run, most people tend to forget that you maybe shouldn't have fielded it. That's what happened with Jones. And they really didn't mind after he had the game winning deflection.

You might want to go watch that play again. I was at that game and it was basically seemed over at a certain time. We had a few big things go our way and that was the biggest when we finally tied it. No, anyone COULDN'T have done the same thing. He came from decently far back and although there was a nice gap for him to run through, his closing speed was great. Wilson stepped aside to dodge him, but Jones grabbed him and threw him down like a rag doll forcing a fumble and setting up a small miracle for us to take the lead. I don't think just anyone throws around players like he does. And I'm pretty sure that was his 2nd sack in that game.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Cannon fielded his with his back to the endzone coming out and no one was within 10 yds of him when he caught it.

Chad Jones was going sideways with a defender less than 5 yds away.

3. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Hey, rules are rules if you're a "rules" person. Cannon wasn't supposed to field it inside the 20 even if there wasn't a person within 20 yards. But he felt that the offense couldn't move the ball and that he had to make something happen. He did.

Against State, LSU hadn't done anything on offense since like the first minute of the second half when they got a long strike to LaFell for a TD. State had pulled within two and if Jones would have let that roll, it probably would have been downed right at the goal line or possibly went out of bounds. And then I think we would have really been screwed because we had ZERO running game in that one as usual this year.

Sometimes you have to see if your athleticism can get something done when conventional things aren't working. He did take a risk that you wouldn't always want him to take, but he made the risk pay off. And the end result was a TD for LSU and one of the more impressive returns I've ever seen.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

it's not about just the rules.

it's about making the smart play.
    Cannon wasn't supposed to touch it inside the 15. However, he could clearly see that he was going to be well past the 15 before any defender would be close enough to touch him. Especially since the ball bounced directly to him, and he could basically catch it while running forward and building his momentum.
    By that point, you are up to speed, and can either make a move, or lower your shoulder, etc. The odds of you making a play are stacked very much in your favor.

Jones on the other hand, was running sideways, had to stop, stoop to catch a ball at his feet and was hit before he gained a yard.
    Athleticism to make the play? yes I never denied that he's athletic.
    Really phucking stupid to attempt that play? you bet your azz, and you'll never change my mind on this one. The odds of getting a positive result on that play were definitely stacked against him.

5. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Look, it's not a risk that I would want him to take in most situations. Was there a little bit of crazy in the decision? Very possibly. Does Jones always make the best decisions? No. But when your offense is sucking really bad and you are also trying to avoid getting pinned at like the 1 or something, I think it's okay to take a risk that will get you away from your own end zone so you won't get a safety, etc.

As it turned out, it was the winning score.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

74 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble, 1 blocked kick, and a punt return for a touchdown sucks? Not to mention the batted pass in the endzone against mississippi state. Damn if that sucks, what is good?

What is clear is that Chavis definitely had the linebackers playing great football this season as Kelvin Sheppard, Perry Riley, Harry Coleman, and Jacob Cutrera were 1,2,3, and 4 in tackles this season, followed by Chad Jones.

Stevan Ridley had more tackles than Josh Downs, thought that was pretty funny.

7. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member