Told You So, Some Coach (Urban Meyer)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, Mar 18, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB7DY6WF6E.html

Note the comment "I don't even know who you are..."

He's been on the job for over 10 weeks and can't even identify 100 people that play for him!

I'm revising an earlier call, Tennessee will beat this clown. Vols go 7-4.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

i don't see how that reflects poorly on his coaching abiltity

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Don't take this as a slam, but being a HC at a big-time program like UF is more about hiring and managing the employees around you than performing the traditional coaching functions, hence the frequent comparisons to the role of a corporate CEO.

Welcome to the big leagues CUM. :hihi:

4. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

A teacher has to know who they are responsible for. He has been football coach for 3 months. He pops platitudes about his team and how they are making progress toward connecting with the student body. First round of practivce he berates a player with "I don't know who you are but...". I see it as a reflection of "ATNA" (all-talk, no action).

Miles has met individually with every player, spoken to them again in a setting with their academic counselor, and has made attempts to call or meet their parents. Miles was hired AFTER Meyer. How people, after reading and comparing what's going on at LSU and Gainesville, can even hint the Gators have a better coach is beyond me.

I think the comment "I don't know who you are..." speaks volumes about the coach, how he sees "stars" in the scheme of "team", how he values players as student-athletes, and how he views his job situation.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Ole Urban might bve a great coach, a good coach or a mediocre coach at UF but it won't have anything to do with what your posting about.

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

I just think he wants the best player playing, which is what Saban always did. You perform your best when you're under pressure... and what better way than to threaten them to lose their job?

7. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

my opinion is that competition makes you better. Meyer understands that, Zook did not and Miles does not. Have you heard what Miles wants to call the Spring Game to keep it from being a split team competition? They can not even fit it on the tickets and there is no reward for winning the game. He is afraid that some kids might get their feelings hurt if half the team has steaks and the other half does not.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Somehow, I feel quite certain that the Florida Gator boards will find a way other than "CUM" to abbreviate "Coach Urban Meyer."

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

What did you tell us in the first place. Did you tell he would not know his players names. Thus the "I told you so". What did Meyer do to put that burr under your saddle. The "I don't know your name line could have been a motivator. Coaches have sure said worse to motivate players.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lol talk about digging deep to say I told you so. ok so that proves he sucks. that settles it.

people will go to no end to find something to validate their stance.