Told You So, Some Coach (Urban Meyer)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, Mar 18, 2005.

1. philter

philter Founding Member

Off topic a little, but Bob Davies is not a bad coach.

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

How in the world did you come to this conclusion before the man even coaches a game at LSU? Meyer, after coaching and playing against teams with no talent in the MWC and MAC, is a great strategist? Miles, who coached in the Big XII and beat a heavily favored Oklahoma twice, is not? When you think about it if you are just giving out this "title" of great strategist it would almost appear you have it backwards, though I believe its premature for either coach. After all it takes great strategy, for finding the weaknesses, and great motivation for an underdog to beat a more talented in-state rival once. Miles did it twice and came close to 3 out of 4.

At Utah, Meyer inherited Alex Smith who was the best QB in that conference. he did not recruit the nephew of John L. Smith, rather inherited an underrated QB who has NFL type talent in a small time league. He should have won every game and he did. Not sure it took alot of great strategy to beat 12 teams you are favored against, but it was good coaching.

BTW I have also heard that Miles is a strict disciplinarian, even moreso than Saban.

One note on Urban Meyer. He called Brandon Siler his favorite player. Great coach or poor coach, I do not know that. For the life of me, however, I can not figure out one good reason to come out in a press conference and announce a guy as the head coaches favorite player.

:geauxtige
    :crystal:

LSU!

3. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I think I would disagree with that, but we would need to see him get a second chance before we could be sure. However at ND I thought he was pretty bad in a few areas.

:geauxtige
    :crystal:

LSU!

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Getting fired at Notre Dame tends to put coaches out to pasture, I believe for many years that would have been the case because others have believed if you couldn't win there you probably couldn't win anywhere else. Now, with all of the talk about how hard it is to recruit good and great players because of their academics, I wonder if people will look at Davie in a different light, like Washington evidentally did with Willingham.

5. cajdav1

axd9142, I think that is about the first post of your's that I ahd read where I was agreeing with most of what you said until the end. I think TurboTiger made a very good point about strategy but I also think you weren't talking strategy as much as you were schemes, even though you used the word strategy. Meyer is known for a revolutionary scheme on offense so I think you do have a point. Miles isn't known for being an innovator like Meyer is but his offenses were pretty productive in the Big 12. We'll have to wait and see how they both do in the SEC.

Also, don't let Miles being being well liked translate into being soft on discipline. As Turbo said Miles is noted for being a strict disciplinarian and for also being very intense. I believe all Tigah fans are going to be very happy with Miles effect on players as far as discipline and school are concerned.

6. cajdav1

The one other thing I wanted to comment on with regard to your post is that following a legend doesn't make the LSU easier IMO. It makes it much harder as the pressure will be much greater than what Urban faces I believe. Following Zook should be much easier. As Baby Bowden has alwys answered when questioned about FSU. " I want to be the guy who follows the coach who followed my father".

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

absolutely. i was completely befuddled by this statement. i think it's pretty much one of the worst possible things a coach can say about his team.

8. gunwoady

gunwoady Founding Member

Just b/c you have Alex Smith on our team means you're suppose to win every game despite there being 3 BCS teams on your schedule plus a BCS bowl? He dominated every BCS team he played this year, and 3 of those games including the BCS Fiesta was decided b4 the half. Even though he was playing MWC and MAC talent, he too had MWC/MAC talent. The talent recruited at TXa&m and Pitt far outweigh anything you can recruit at Utah. Is it even possible to find the last time a 4-star recruit went to Utah

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I know the answer to this one:

one of many millionaires who cut their hair with those rounded scissors you used in 3rd grade.

10. philter

philter Founding Member

It's possible to be a good coach, but a bad head coach.