Told You So, Some Coach (Urban Meyer)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, Mar 18, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You're right about that. My dad alwys said great colonel's don't always make good Generals. At least in sports it only matters with wins and losses. I think Wade Phillips is a prime example of a very good assistant who cannot make the jump to HC.

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

absolutely, I was talking about how good a head coach he is.

3. turbotiger

I am saying that Alex Smith is an anomoly at a school like Utah. 1st round NFL QB's don't play at Utah often. Smith at Utah is like Roethlesberger at Miami and when both were SR's they made the difference for their team in a weak league like each is in. With Alex Smith, who hails from a big time football family, at the helm Utah had a decided advantage in talent at QB over every other school in the MWC. It is true that they all have MWC talent, but Utah also had what no other MWC team had, a BCS caliber QB, which puts Utah above all the other teams in that conference. Did you think there was a MWC team with a better QB than Smith? Do not misunderstand me, Meyer did a good job of coaching Smith, but was lucky to inherit such a talent at, of all places, UTAH!

Utah had 3 BCS teams on their schedule. I would rate aTm as their most impressive victory. Problem is, for me, it was the first game. I am not so sure Utah wins that game in midseason. But they won it in game 1 when it was played so to the victor.... I ** believe** the other two BCS teams are UNC and Pitt. Is that correct? If so, sorry, beating those teams is not impressive to me. Pitt was bad last year and limped into the BCS as the Big East champs, who probably shouldn't even be in the BCS. Without Alex Smith how do you think Utah would do this year even with Meyer?

Again, I go back to my original point about Strategist. Utah was favored in every game, a testament to their weak conference and weak OOC schedule. They were expected to win them all and they did. Miles won a few of his as a decided underdog. We'll see who does better on the level playing fields of the SEC.

:geauxtige
    :crystal:

LSU!

4. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

FWIW, they don't play at LSU very often either.

5. turbotiger

here is a link...

if you are interested, to an article about UF's practice sessions including their "bull in the ring" exercise. Unusual for sure, we'll see how it goes this year.

UF practices "bull in the ring"

6. gunwoady

gunwoady Founding Member

You sound reasonable enough w/ the A. Smith being an anomaly, and that was a good comparison in regards to Big Ben.
    It's not the fact that he simply beat UNC, Pitt, AZ and A&M, it was the manner in which they were systematically demolished. Like I said, it didn't even look like they deserved to be on the same field; game was decided b4 the half. Do you really think there will be a diff. WHEN A&M played Utah considering how the Aggies finished last season, and Utah just taking Pitt to the woodshed. I respect your POV, and I can understand why one would have doubts about a coach coming from the MAC & MWC. Like you said, we'll see this upcoming season just what U. Meyer is about w/ some Florida talent at his disposal.

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

It seems amazing to me how Meyer is being percieved already.

On one hand, you have those that believe he will go undefeated and win the NC...or get near that goal.

On the other, you have those that believe he wont ever win more then 7 games and will be fired after 2-3 years.

I say its somewhere in the middle. His D has little depth and over-rated talent, imo. He wins 8 games next year and 10 the following

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

nah you just hear the ones who want to be heard and are screaming loudest. Common sense and the safe bet would of course be to neither extreme. same with miles. expect 8 reg. season wins usually, 9-10 is a success and anything else is disappointment. the occassional undefeated season and NC trophy will balance those out.