Tom Benson wants a BILLION dollars to keep the Aints....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by InVinoVeritas, Jul 27, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's exactly why I wouldn't cry if the Saints moved on. Idiot fans like me have an emotional investment in the team. To Benson, it's just a business. F**k the loyal fans who have suffered through the Aint's trial and tribulations for 35 years.

2. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Founding Member

The LA thing is BS as well. THe Glazers have

a deal in place to sell the Bucs, buy the Dodgers, and bring ANOTHER team to LA in the NFL.

Is Benson giving you PR money or do you own land near Iberville?

3. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

There is a small town in the Northeast corner of Mississippi that offers UNBELIEVABLE tax breaks for warehouse type businesses. I have referred SEVERAL clients to that locale given the tax savings associated with having their warehouse facilities in that area.

Am I "F**king the loyal" citizens of this state because I recommend to my clients that they save as much money as possible on state and local taxes?

As to your assertion about "F**k the loyal fans who have suffered through the Aint's trial and tribulations for 35 years," are you serious? The fans and citizens of this state are LUCKY to have had the opportunity to root for the Saints for the last 35 years. Just like a BUSINESS which does BUSINESS in Louisiana OWES NOTHING to state or its citizens, the Saints owe nothing to Louisiana or its citizens. IT'S A BUSINESS, just like any other. And, like most businesses which aren't associated with pollution and disgrace, it's the state and the citizens that owe a debt a gratitude to those businesses for providing jobs and stimulating the economy.

Part of the problem in this state is this notion that the businesses which are located here somehow OWE us something. And, that's why all of our businesses have left this state.

4. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

you commie bastard.....

no wonder k&b, Schwegmans, maison blanche, gadchouxs, dh holmes, fat city, uncle gus' bar, tin lizzys, moms, time saver, nopsi, security sporting goods, the trampolines on veteran, momus, roman taffy man, oman the pie maker, tastee donuts, sena mall, fontanas, fnbc, fitzgeralds, paying both was on da causeway, mckenzies, pelican bowling, buddy d's, ronny kole's, paradise lanes, beebos, riverbend and many other Nawlins institutions are GONE.....

ME and Johnny gives ya........

5. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Tin Lizzy's still exists. It just has a different name (Waldo's).

6. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

It Ain't Dere No More......

What about the Ye Olde College Inn - It ain't de...oh wait, it's still dere!!!!

AIN'T DERE NO MORE
    (Benny "Grunch" Antin) Anzel Anzel, BMI

Where's the downtown stores
    Ain't there no more
    Where's the Schwegmann's stores
    Ain't there no more
    Where's all the stores
    Ain't there no more

Everybody cried
    On the Live Eyewitness news
    McKenzie's got closed down
    'Cause a zink was all mildewed

Well, they opened up again
    But while I was in line
    They all closed down, but I heard they're gonna
    Open one more time

Just hotels, just hotels
    More are on the way
    Mr. Bingle quit at the Carlton Ritz
    "Cause he can't reach the buffet..ay

Krauss is gone so you can't try on
    No queen-size lingerie
    But, watcha gonna do with K & B
    And Schwegmann's gone away

A & G's ain't there no more
    Mc Crory's ain't there no more
    Waterbury's ain't there no more
    Dailey's ain't there no more
    Red Goose-'a ain't there no more
    Them biddies shoes-'a ain't there no more
    Godchaux's Mens …On the second floor?
    That's the one! ain't there no more

Maison Blanche and Holme's
    Was just like dinosaurs
    That roamed out in Gentilly Woods
    Before it was explored

Downtown a million years
    Then gone in just a blink
    MB's and Holmes and dinosaurs
    Are mostly all extinct

(Just hotels chorus)

Lowes State show ain't there no more
    Miller Wohl ain't there no more
    Leonard Krower's ain't there no more
    Claiborne Towers ain't there no more
    Well, Kress's then ain't there no more
    'Was a "five and ten" ain't there no more
    Old Grocery store with the …double screen door?
    That's the one! Ain't there no more

Paw paw shopped at Schwegmann's
    Forty years or more
    'Cause Schwegmann's had a bar-room
    Right there in the store

Paw Paw got some French bread
    Then he hung around
    He'd walk home with the shopping cart
    So he wouldn't just fall down

(Just hotels chorus)

Labiche's ain't there no more
    Kreeger's ain't there no more
    Stein's is great ain't there no more
    Rivergate ain't there no more

Hey, look they're layin tracks
    Canal street-car is back
    And Rubenstein's and Walgreens
    Still right there where they at

(Just hotels chorus)

Watcha gonna do with K & B
    And Schwegmann's gone away

Schwegmann's gone away
    Ain't there no more
    Schwegmann's gone away
    Ain't there no more

(Repeat and fade)

7. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

It's been a few years TuWho?...........

So, I many details, but we did try to work with JEDCO and the State. They weren't interested in talking tax breaks or concessions. With Louisiana, it's more like the politicians wanting something for themselves. Another lawyer I work with told me about the Mississippi locale. There is a town there in the NE corner (forget the name) that has a TON of distribution centers - it caters to these businesses.

After that, we put two other clients in that area as well.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Saints are not Benson's only business. He owns a lot of automobile dealerships in New Orleans and San Antonio.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. It's been a real picnic. I rooted for Enron too.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I am all for doing everything we can to keep the Saints, WITHIN REASON. The bottom line is, which is better for New Orleans; using that billion (where does it say he wants a billion anyway? The figure I'm seeing kicked around is $350M) to get five Fortune 500 companies to locate their global headquarters and a lot of their operations in NO, or using that billion to pacify Tom Benson? I think we all know the answer to that. As for Benson being the "Savior of New Orleans" I am not interested in inflating his ego anymore than it already is. The Superdome is a fine facility. If it's good enough to host the Super Bowl more than any other stadium, it's good enough for the loser 'Aints. Now, like any stadium that's 35 years old, it could use some work. I am in favor of a massive renovation and reconstruction of the 'Dome to expand it's seating capacity and the number of luxury boxes, make it prettier on the outside, and give it some of the nicer amenities that other newer stadiums have. And once we have done that, that's it. We tell Benson, "This is YOUR stadium. It is WORLD CLASS. It will stand for a thousand years and you will PLAY IN IT for a thousand years. We're done here." If he doesn't like that, too bad. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. As for the Iberville/Canal Street area, perhaps that can be the place we build a brand new baseball stadium, with the intention of luring a Major League Baseball team (although we would be too late for the Expos, they are headed to Washington). If not, build new housing there. Put one of those economic empowerment zones there and give a bunch of businesses taxbreaks to locate there. Build a mall or something. Get creative!

Renovate the Superdome? Yes. Give the Saints a little extra cash? Sure. A billion dollars and a new stadium? No way! There are better things to spend the money on and besides, who's to say that if we do build him a new stadium, in 35 years it too is "obsolete" and he needs ANOTHER one or he'll move the team? We'll be right back where we started. I just don't see this as anything else other than a power/money grab by Benson.

He can bargain hard. Guess what? So can we.