Tom Olivadotti - DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ponchy Tiger, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Ponchy Tiger

Ponchy Tiger Founding Member

I have heard a rumor from a friend who has a "source" close to the LSU athletic program that Tom Olivadotti, current Houston Texans LB coach, and most notably former long-time DC with the Miami Dolphins, may be the choice for DC. Don't know anything more than that, and I hate to throw out what is essentially a rumor, but just another name to add to the rumor mill. Campo seems more logical except for the pension issue which Olivadotti has covered (20 years NFL experience). Here is a link to the Texans page, but you have to go to the "Team" link, then "Coaches" to access his bio.

http://www.houstontexans.com/

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

There has been talk around here (Houston) as well about the possibility of Olivadetti leaving. No specific jobs have even been thrown around (that I'm aware of.) He's done a nice job here, as far as I can tell.

3. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Dangit can we just hire somebody already....this is getting annoying...

4. hpmcdaniel

hpmcdaniel Founding Member

I agree:)

5. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I just find it hard to believe that any current NFL assistant coach unless fired or let go do to a HC change would jump ship from the NFL and go to the college ranks unless they are way far down on the totem pole. The pay scale in the NFL is so far above the collegiate level it's ridiculous. A lot of folks thought Karl Dunbar would leave the Bears and come to LSU when Les Miles was hired. Well I can't see Dunbar leaving a job where he's probably making close to $250K to come to LSU and make considerably less. That's an awfully big pay cut and I don't know too many folks who can take a financial hit like that.

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Whatever. That's ignorant. The cost of living in the suburbs of BR is considerably lower than that of a densely populated urban center such as Chicago.

7. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Yep, it's sooo ignorant and off-base that Dunbar, Edwards, Campo and so many others have jumped from the NFL to LSU! Take off the blinders.

8. Ponchy Tiger

An NFL position coach wouldn't necessarily be paid much more if at all than LSU could pay to get a top-notch DC. Jimbo Fisher was after all the highest-paid OC in college football this past year at roughly $230K. Mike Tice at Minnesota doesn't even make $1m a year, so I could see a LB coach in the NFL at $100K-$200K. LSU is committed to paying its coaches, so money may not be a stumbling block. Plus, Olivadotti has the NFL's pension with 20 years in. He may be interested in coordinating a defense again and may want a change and is intrigued by LSU's offer and talent - who knows what his reasoning is? Olivadotti fits the profile of the supposed coach Jimmy Ott mentioned on his radio show on Friday - 1) relatively "high profile" (to those who know football), 2) could be waiting to mid-Feb to announce since most asst. coaches in the NFL have contracts through Feb 15, 3) would "make waves" in football circles since he is well-respected and has a solid NFL resume, and 4) would be the "first-choice" of those that have been mentioned (again, to most of those who know football).

9. smoovedog

smoovedog Founding Member

Isn't the going rate for a top coordinator in ncaa $200-500K a year? I don't think that the pay scale is far above the collegiate level, when Dunbar is making $250K in the NFL and norm chow is making $500K a year as a coordinator at USC....

10. Ponchy Tiger

I think the perception is that the NFL pays its coaches much more than college (pro vs. college), but actually, except for the top head coaches in the NFL, the pay scale is not that much different across the board from what I have seen. Don't really think a coach like Olivadotti is looking at making moves for the money at this stage of his career. Plus, he may not be as likely to leave after a year or two like a younger coach such as George Edwards. Anyway, we should know soon enough (I hope) - speculating is fun, but it means nothing.