Tom Olivadotti - DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ponchy Tiger, Jan 31, 2005.

1. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I found this on nflcoaches.com in an article on the Vikings assistants pay:

For now, the only offseason coaching position that must be addressed is that of Linehan, who on Tuesday said he was inclined to remain in his current position because McCombs exercised the $1 million option on Tice. Linehan's salary is unknown, but he is believed to be making less than the estimated $466,000 average for an NFL offensive coordinator.

But Kennan said coaching salaries continue to increase, and that he would like the tail end — meaning the Vikings — to boost the average.

In 1999, assistant coaches averaged $130,000. That figure nearly has doubled, with more than 15 coordinators making at least $1 million. Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is believed to be the NFL's top-paid assistant, making $1.7 million.

2. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Look at that, instead of speculatiing we got real info, thabks for the link. These guys are making bog bucks and I have noi idea how LSU can compete with that. I wish they would have put Edwards pay in that article.

There were several guys making more than that I believe and Chow is making almost double what Jimbo gets.

4. Ponchy Tiger

Ponchy Tiger Founding Member

I remember hearing several times over the past few weeks that Jimbo was the highest paid OC in college in '04. Just repeating that. If you look at the assistant coach facts, I still contend that the norm has been NFL assistants were not highly paid as compared to what top college coaches have been paid. As college pay is going up, it seems the NFL is having to move too. Anyhow, I apologize for speculating on a message board.:lol:

5. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Chow's salary...

I thought so too. I swear I heard on the Orange Bowl he was making between $800K to $1 million. Now, I could be very wrong on this amount, but I know he was one of, if not the top paid coordinator in college football. And heck he's even talking about jumping to the NFL.

6. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

We should just give the job to Jack Hunt. He had a great eye for what was coming, and ran the secondary on the field during our NC run. Plus, he probably needs a job.

Okay, not really. Although I have wondered if the boy will go into coaching in some capacity. He did seem to have a really good sense of the game, which allowed him to be a very valuable player, even though he wasn't the most athletic DB we've ever had.

I have a friend that loves to point out that the only game he missed that year was our 1 loss, which is an interesting coincidence.

But I just posted this because sometimes I like to post pointless crap knowing that some of you people will in fact spend your valuable time reading it. :lol:

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

You're correct--to a point. While the over-all salaries by comparison are higher in the NFL for head coaches (i.e. NFL head coach pays > college head coach, and NFL LB coach pays > college LB coach), it's not true if an NFL positions coach leaves and goes to become a top college program's coordinator.

8. Ponchy Tiger

Ponchy Tiger Founding Member

Chow considering move to NFL

By CHIP ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

Many consider Southern California offensive coordinator Norm Chow the best assistant coach in college football, but that soon could change.
    "I could be headed to the next level," Chow said this week. "That may be my next challenge."

Chow has been mentioned as a possible candidate for NFL jobs, including offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans. One Web site, gotitans.com , reported that Chow may have been offered as much as $1.5 million a year to go to the Titans -- about three times his reported annual salary at USC.

9. BB

BB Founding Member

I believe the Norm Chow situation is a bit of an anomaly. If I'm not mistaken, Pete Carroll functions as head coach and defensive coordinator - this allows USC to pay Chow the extra money (like a double salary).

10. kjntiger

kjntiger Founding Member

Tom Olivadotti is an outstanding defensive coach. very aggressive( ast used to be but, i still think he is .) likes the big hits too but, he teaches sound fundamentals.