Tommy the Riverboat Gambler

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by flabengal, Sep 13, 2004.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

What's the over/under on 4th down gambles in the game by Tuberville this year? I'd say the "official" vegas line would be 3. I'll take the over.....plus one onside kick..... :wink:

I've always respected his guts in this department because I can't remember another coach that goes for it on 4th down or rolls the dice like he does. Of course, after last years botched attempt on their side of the field it seemed like the floodgates opened up early and he certainly has to shoulder the blame for that one. :dis:

Hey Barners, as fans of the team, how does his gambling style sit with you? I don't see enough Auburn games to know but has it turned around to bite you in the a** or do you think he game-day coaching skills have stolen a few for you? I know he gets a lot of grief around here but since Darth Visor left he's the coach I love to beat the most. It's my favorite game of the year. :thumb:

Should be a good one!!:geaux:

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I like it sometimes...I hate it sometimes. The stupid fake punt from our own 8 against UF infuriated me. I liked the first call on 4th down last year....I hated the 2nd.

I like that he has the stones to try stuff like that, but I wish he'd pick some better times to do it.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Sounds like u like it when it works...and hate it when it doesn't....hmmmm

4. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Well, obviously. It is situational, however. The first 4th down against you last year was a shorter yardage attempt.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But when it works....you never say....."damn why did he do that?"

And when it doesn't.....you never say...."man that was smart.....too bad it didn't work"

For the most part....

You have to take the good with the bad.....I personally like coaches you have the balls to take chances.

Case in point....Coach Haslett of the Saints.....love his gambling style....sometimes it doesn't work....but I accept it because the other 4 out of 5 times it does.

6. snaklak

snaklak Freshman

I'm down with the gambler. I think the fake on AU's own 8 yard line was great. If I remember correctly, Damon Duval just didn't throw the ball far enough to Robert Johnson. Nobody ever saw that fake coming. Those are the best.