Tony Ball New LSU WR Coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Feb 13, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Georgia assistant Tony Ball to become LSU’s new receivers coach
    [​IMG]
    Football

Ross Dellenger| [email protected]
    Feb. 13, 2015

Georgia receivers coach Tony Ball will be the new receivers coach at LSU, and he says the “timing was just right” on the move from Athens to Baton Rouge.

Ball confirmed the news through multiple outlets in Georgia. LSU has not yet confirmed the hire.

“The opportunity presented itself and the timing was right for my family,” he told The Atlanta Journal Constitution on Friday. “The timing was just right, and it was a great opportunity. Like Georgia, LSU is a top program, and it’s another challenge that I wanted.”

Ball, 55, just finished his ninth season at Georgia, the last six as receivers coach. He’s had stops at Virginia Tech and Louisville during his career.

He will replace Adam Henry, who left LSU after three seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. Ball interviewed for the job Wednesday. Maryland receivers coach Keenan McCardell also interviewed for the position.

Ball makes $260,000 a year and is one of a four current UGA assistants who has not received a raise this offseason. He has one year left on his contract. Henry, 42, had recently signed a new two year contract with the Tigers that included a $55,000 raise. He was set to make $375,000 this season.

He told the AJC that “money was not the issue.”

A Chattanooga, Tenn., native, Ball was a running back at UT-Chattanooga and coached running backs in his first three years in Athens. Ball coached receivers for eight years at Virginia Tech and for three years at Louisville.

LSU has been searching for a new coach since Sunday. Ball will be the third new coach on staff. The Tigers hired former Alabama assistant Kevin Steele to be their defensive coordinator after John Chavis left. They hired defensive line coach Ed Orgeron to replace the reassigned Brick Haley, who recently accepted the job at Texas.

Follow Ross Dellenger on Twitter @DellengerAdv.

2. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

If money was not the issue, what was the issue that caused him to move to LSU?

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And why did we hire a RB to coach WR's

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

To be fair, he's been coaching WRs for a long time now. However I'm not sure if he's a good hire or not. Did Gawga even attempt to keep him?

5. shane0911

Thats what I'm saying, know nothing about him. I know when my plumbing breaks I always call the electrician. .. just saying

Hope it works out

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

So a former WR that's only coached RBs would be ok? He is a WR coach.

"Tony Ball has been tremendous at developing on field talent over the last several years, with Georgia constantly having well coached, good hands, good blocking, and good route running WRs. He's among the best in the business at coaching guys up. "http://www.dawgsports.com/2015/2/11/8019501/tony-ball-interviewing-with-lsu

LSUDad likes this.
  7. shane0911

I didn't say it was a bad hire

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

You would if the electrician had been working as a plumber for six years.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am just glad we did not hire an O line coach for the wide receivers. Need I say more?

shane0911 likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

McGarity screwed this one up by not paying him more. He's a very good coach and an excellent recruiter.

"2012 was a banner year for coach Tony Ball's route runners. Combining for the better part of 4000 receiving yards, Georgia's receivers accounted for more yards from scrimmage than any other Bulldog receiving corps in the history of Georgia football. Let that sink in for a second...even with a running back contingent that rushed for over 2000 yards, the Dawg receivers still set records in production."
    Chris Conley, Michael Bennett, Malcolm Mitchell all looked pretty good last season.

cajdav1 and LSUDad like this.