Tony Barnhart showing no love

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cadillacattack, Jul 17, 2006.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Attached is the latest from Tony Barnhart who, for the most part, has been a rather level-headed analyst on Southern football.

FWIW, I don't agree with Mr. Barnhart . I don't believe there's a QB controversey, and if there is to be one, it would likely be the transfer of RP, but not between JR and Flynn. LSU could very easily win the West, and would be considered the heavy favorite if it were not for schedule.

JMO, but I predict Florida will be this season's letdown......

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I agree C.A. I think Florida will fall.

There ya go Hawker, your teams getting some love. :yelwink2:

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This clown isn't paying attention. First of all LSU fans didn't come off the Miami win expecting a national championship in 2006. We have a tough road schedule, lost 11 players to the NFL, and its a minor rebuilding year. Consenus on this board seems to be that LSU will go 9-3 or 10-2. That means top-10 expectations, not national championship expectations.

Secondly, quarterback is the deepest position on the team and is far from our weakest link. LSU has rebuilt the offensive and defensive lines. The questions for this season is how quick will the talented but new linemen gel and will Vincent and Broussard be 100% at RB? LSU could have far worse problems that two Parade All-Americans and a Bowl MVP competing for the start at quarterback. :lol:

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

He's right the schedule is very tough, but since when is having 3 very talented QB's a bad thing. The one that proves he can get the job plays and the other two are ready if needed. Too much is made about so called QB controversies IMO, on really good teams there is usually competition at all positions. 3 quality QB's makes LSU better not worse.

5. clair

clair Rockets

I hate how people in the media make QB competitions seem like a bad thing for the team.

In the case of these 3 kids, they are all friends, and will push each other, and will make the team better. I remember seeing JaMarcus on campus after the bowl, and he was like a peacock, he was so happy, b/c Matt played so well.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

not defending Barhart (by any means), but the opinion of many across the southeast is that the first time JR struggles, the fanbase will be clamoring for Flynn based upon the results of his performance in the bowl game.

A divided fanbase, regardless of the issue, usually spells trouble for a coaching staff that's trying to keep the focus on the field. I'm merely speculating that this is what Barnhart is referring to.

I'll say this much, I'd love to have any one of the 3 LSU QB's in the Auburn stable. Cox is a good QB and I believe he'll have a good season, but our depth is skinny.....

[​IMG]

7. clair

clair Rockets

People called for Flynn LAST year

That is just LSU...

Also, I don't expect JR to struggle... :yelwink2:

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Another words the exact same scenario we had last year that got us an 11-2 season. There were fans screaming for Flynn all year long and it didn't seem to hurt either one of them or the team.

Baloney, It happens all the time across the nation and teams and coaching staffs deal with it on a daily basis. If a coaching staff can't handle stiff competition between players they better step out of the SEC. Like I said it was the same last year and Miles and company handled it just fine, I see no reason why this season should be different.JMO

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Absolutely right. Barnhart and the rest of them are just being lazy, seeing a 2005 Tennessee QB by committee situation where none exists and rating LSU accordingly.

And even if you see more than 1 QB start this season, that's not automatically a terrible thing for one's season. They say "Look at Tennessee 2005", I say "Look at Texas 2003".

Some guy named Vince Young started the last 7 games of 2003. All that happened from then to now is a 31-2 win-loss record and a national title.

By the time August gets here, I'll be so ready for the real games to begin, it won't be funny. :helmet:

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Too bad some LSU fans out there view the definition of the word "struggle" as JR throwing his first bad pass (i.e. missing a wide open receiver or throwing an INT--or both). :dis: