Top 10 College Announcing Crews

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always associated "that college football voice" with Keith Jackson.

"Its a beautiful autumn evening here in Baton Rouge just moments away from kickoff. What a greeaaat daayy for college football?"

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Whhoooooooaaaaaaa Nelly.

But he is supposed to be retired plus he only does PAC 10 games. Ron Franklin does SEC games so I now rank him ahead of Keith Jackson.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I've re-read the Sporting News article a few times, and I still do not understand the comment "Edgy, edgy, edgy" for the Franklin-Gottfried-Karsten crew. The word "edgy" certainly does not come to mind when I think of Ron Frankin.

As for my opinion, I think that crew has become the best in the college game. Jackson is a legend, but past his time a bit. Franklin has a great delivery, Gottfried is knowledgable, and Karsten makes you feel like you're in the stadium with his pieces (and the great ESPN camera work during his shots). I still don't get the "edgy" comment.

4. DJBurke

DJBurke Founding Member

I think Brent Musburger-Gary Danielson-Jack Arute crew should be at least at #2.

5. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

K J is a Washington State homer. I wonder what he thinks about the BAMA hire in Price nice job......KJ is getting to old to travel so he does those west coast jobs. I did like it when he did Bama games. Lee Corso is less than average in my mind. He is a goofy little guy

6. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Franklin and Gottfried are my favorites. They both seem to understand that "the game" is the thing and do their best to deliver a good broadcast to the fans. Solid game in and game out. A pleasure to listen to.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Lee Corso is ESPNs football answer to Dick Vitale

8. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

So often I find it better for me to simply watch a game with the sound turned off - not because of a bad play-by-play guy but because of some goofball talking-head ex-jock color guy who wants the focus to be on him and not on the game. "Well, when I played yakity yakity yak." "As a former player blah, blah, blah." The worst example of this is that twit Todd Christiansen. I can't hit the mute button fast enough when he comes on. His delivery is completely condescending. A lot of the time it isn't really these guys' fault but some lame brain producer who wants to put someone in the booth to INJECT some personality into the broadcast. An example of that seems to be Mike Golic. When he is on a football game there is just WAY to much yuck-em-up for me. Too much cutting up - and of course too much talk about Notre Dame. But when you listen to Golic on his morning ESPN radio show, he is excellent. Folks, college football already has all the personality it needs. A solid broadcast team like Franklin and Gottfried proves that.

9. SiberianTiger

SiberianTiger Founding Member

Another vote for the Franklin - Gottfried tandem. They are clearly the best in my book. Also, I love Chris Spielman because of how he tells it like it is. I hope he gets moved over to ESPN games soon.