Top 10 moments in LSU sports history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Jan 12, 2004.

1. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

1. LSU defeats Oklahoma to secure 2nd National Championship in 2004.
    2. LSU goes undefeated in the 1958 season by beating Clemson 7-0 in the Sugar Bowl.
    3. LSU snaps 9 year losing streak to Florida in 1997, 28-21.
    4. LSU beats Auburn 7-6 in the Earthquake Game.
    5. Pistol Pete Maravich becomes the all-time college scoring leader, a record that will never be broken.
    6. Warren Morris hits homerun to win 1996 College World Series.
    7. LSU defeats Kentucky to advance to the 1986 Final Four.
    8. Brad Cresse hits game winner to give LSU 5th College World Series championship in 10 years.
    9. Devery Henderson catches hail mary to defeat Kentucky, 33-30 in 2002 Bluegrass Miracle.
    10.LSU and Shaquille O'neal defeat #2 Arizona, 82-72 in 1990.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

they had already won the NC, the final polls were before the bowls back then.

anyway, if it is a moment you are looking for I would say Cannon's run was tied with Morris' homer although I was only 3 in 1958 and didn't see it. The reason Morris' homer was may be bigger is it was of course the championship winner while Cannon's was just a regular season game between #1 and 3 at the time. Tie for third between Jones to David and Hodson to Fuller. Fourth Tuner scaking White.(even though that punt rolling for 3 or 4 seconds was nice).

if it was a season you are looking for than this year due to all the exposure, the wait, the tense moments, the controversy, etc.
    The 1981 final four season would be my second favorite. The 1991 baseball season.

For a career, Maravich hands down.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

1. January 4, 2004
    All others are tied for 2nd.

4. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

The biggest "moment" was Warren Morris' 9th inning home run to win the CWS. But the greatest thing to ever happen for LSU is this year's national championship. I'm hoping for some more to come in the next few years. The future is so bright.

5. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

If the question is top ten moments, then how about Donnie Jones' last punt as an LSU Tiger - in the Sugar Bowl, as time ticked down, 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... 000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned LSU beating Kentucky to get to the final four. Does anyone recall an LSU-Kentucky game during the 1986-87 season (I think it was in January '87). My recollection is somewhat fuzzy, but I seem to recall that LSU was a big underdog and they spanked the Wildcats. Final margin of victory was 30 something? I know some of you have really good memories. Please help. It may not be a top 10 moment, but it was a heckuva performance by the Tigers.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i guess these shouldnt make the top ten moments, but it depends how you look at it--these were some great LSU Basketball games.

LSU over Arizona (2000?). That was big because it was domination (not unlike w/ Shaq in 90), and if I remember correctly, this was at Arizona.--this team dominated a lot of SEC teams---reminds me of the year before when Stro had just qualified in Dec/Jan and LSU killed Alabama on the road--Stro had like 10 blocks.

Great game against Georgetown in Superdome ('88?)-- all LSU had was Chris Jackson (ok, and overacheiving Blanton) and they beat a high profile team with Mourning (I think Mutumbo was on that team too). Remember, for some screwy reason Dale brought in this dorky guy with no experience for the last play just because he could hit threes in practice. Russell somebody, so he took the three and Mourning blocked it, but Blanton put it in at the buzzer to win. That's as lucky as LSU has been.

Don't forget LSU v. Loyola-Marymount--I think the highest scoring game in Div IA at the time (141-144?). Non-stop action.

LSU v UNLV. I don't remember exactly, but I think UNLV went undefeated in 88 and lost in the championship game, but then in 89 we beat them and that was their only loss of the season. Maybe the best team in NCAA history. They dominated everyone with Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony. Perhaps the best team in any sport that LSU has beaten.

Just thought of some basketball "moments".

Anthony Wilson hitting the "jumper" in the lane while falling down at the buzzer to beat Georgia Tech I think on the run to Final Four in '86.

Stro's block of Chris Mihm against Texas in NCAA tourney. would be bigger if team had won a few more.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Should I dare bring up Bottom Moment/Games (or Top Ten Worst).

off the top of my head

10. LSU over Bama (92?)--kept curley around another year.

9. Jamie Howard interception game.

8. Shaun Alexander 5 TD game in BR.

7. Indiana coming back from down about 20 at half in 2nd round of NCAA tourney. (this was bad because the General got Dale again)

6. loss to UAB. (well, atleast it was nick's first year)

5. Booty tries to run it in against Bama. & Booty can't hit open TE or RB in endzone against Georgia.

4. Arkansas TD last year to keep us out of SECCG.

3. Loss to Georgia Tech in NCAA tourney 2nd round. Epitome of Dale getting little out of great talent.

2. Kentucky comeback from 30 something down in second half in BR (Basketball).
    My number 1---Carey hits homer (grand slam, mind you) off of McDonald in CWS.

8. Geauxld Member

Geauxld Member Founding Member

Duh

For me nothing comes close to the 2004 Sugar Bowl.
    It took 6 days to get my voice back.
    Oklahoma tiger got it right:

1. LSU defeats Oklahoma to secure 2nd National Championship in 2004.
    2. LSU goes undefeated in the 1958 season by beating Clemson 7-0 in the Sugar Bowl.
    3. LSU snaps 9 year losing streak to #1 Florida in 1997, 28-21.
    4. LSU beats Auburn 7-6 in the Earthquake Game.
    5. Pistol Pete Maravich becomes the all-time college scoring leader, a record that will never be broken.
    6. Warren Morris hits homerun to win 1996 College World Series.
    7. LSU defeats Kentucky to advance to the 1986 Final Four.
    8. Brad Cresse hits game winner to give LSU 5th College World Series championship in 10 years.
    9. Devery Henderson catches hail mary to defeat Kentucky, 33-30 in 2002 Bluegrass Miracle.
    10.LSU and Shaquille O'neal defeat #2 Arizona, 82-72 in 1990.

9. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Well, we can look back at these and appreciate where we are now. Here are several other lowlights from the last 12 or so years:

-- Loss to Colorado State and Earl Bruce
    -- Loss to Southern Miss to seal Curley's fate
    -- Florida 58, LSU 3 in 1993
    -- Blowing the game against Bama in '98 (tipped pass for TD, onside kick, etc.) to continue their unbeaten streak in Tiger Stadium
    -- Losing to Houston to seal Dinardo's fate

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i thought we made an amazing come back to beat houston.

i think the 7-6 win over Vandy was more telling