Top 10 moments in LSU sports history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Jan 12, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

How about Joe Dean leaving LSU. That has to rank up there as well as one of the all time great moments.

He single-handedly ruined the LSU football program by hiring Archer, Hallman and Dinardo. Is it possible to be THAT wrong with 3 consecutive coaches?....wow (He spurned Spurrier in favor of Archer....Florida went on to kick our ass for the next decade)

Not to mention LSU's basketball progam was embroiled in scandal time and time again in the mid 90s under his watch.

Skip Bertman was already at LSU before Dean became AD. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes he did hire Saban, but the damage had been done.

2. Claw

Claw Founding Member

Actually, that shot was made against Memphis State. I was AT THAT GAME in the Deaf Dome in 1986. It was also the last year the NCAA allowed host schools to play 1st and 2nd round games at their home arena. The subsequent run to the Final Four has to be one of my all-time Tiger highlights...mainly because they made the run w/ 6'6" Ricky Blanton playing center and because they avenged 3 earlier losses to Kentucky in the regional finals.

3. chele

chele Founding Member

This one's in my personal top 10 (especially since I was there):

women's basketball -- LSU beat #1 Tennessee in Baton Rouge in 1999 on Katrina Hibbert's layup and free throw. BR was the only SEC city where Chamique Holdsclaw never won a game.

4. LSU

LSU Founding Member

chele, got to agree with you on that one. I still have my plastic LSU ball they gave out during the game. There were probably more UT fans than LSU fans there.

5. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

It would be impossible for me to pick a Top 10 in order of importance, except #1 for me would have to be Nick Saban raising the national championship trophy.

I've been fortunate to have been at a few of the top moments in person, most recently the Bluegrass Miracle. But the single most exciting one I have witnessed would be LSU's basketball win against #1 Kentucky in 1978, in overtime, with all 5 LSU starters fouled out. It was absolutely a gut-wrenching win, but the atmosphere was indescribable.

6. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

I know you said top ten in LSU sports history but I've got football on the brain right now.

It may not be top ten material but Justin's 60+ run from the first play against OU will never leave my memories.

I think that put the zap on OU. OU fought tough the whole game but you know they had to be thinking for a moment, "Oh no, not K-State again!"

Then.....bam....Webster's interception followed shortly after by Skylar's td run.

Sorry, can't get that series of plays out of my head.

7. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

I does not get more dramatic than the Warren Morris homerun. I will always remember being one pitch away from devestation, laying on the sofa bed at my mom's appt. Then bam, his second homerun all year. I think he was coming off a wrist injury correct?
    And of course the Sugar Bowl is another memory I will never forget. Being in the superdome, hugging people I had just met, damn near blacking out from screaming, losing my voice. Then after the game seeing an OU fan that was a very sore loser get knocked the f*** out after he started talking and pointing in the face of some tiger fans.

8. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

For me....nothing is better than the Warren Morris home run..

9. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

Can never remember having the feeling that"this is in the bag" that early in a game before. That Justin Vincent run in the first play from scrimmage is burned in my mind forever.

Being an Alexandria boy (Morris's hometown) I'll never forget that homerun either.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I remember the game but not the exact score but LSU won by about 35. I watched it on TV with my Dad and my Mother had passed away a couple of weeks before that. It was the first time I saw my Dad smile since my Mothers funeral.