Top 10 moments in LSU sports history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Jan 12, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

A few proud moments nobody has mentioned:

Ray Wright's leaping catch in the right field stands in the 4th inning of the 2000 CWS Championship game, that robbed Stanford's Edmund Muth of a 3-run homer, and ended up being the difference in the game.

Charley Mac's 1970 team going up to South Bend and shutting
    down Joe Theismann and the nation's top offense in a 3-0 loss.

Dale Brown's chicken-pox depleted 1986 team, putting 5 players on the court (including a couple of volunteers from the football team) and losing by only 2 to a heavily favored Kentucky team, who refused to reschedule the game in spite of the chicken pox outbreak (LSU finished the game w/ 4 players on the court because somebody fouled out).

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

We made an amazing comeback to beat Houston in the first game of '96, winning 35-34 and eventually going 10-2, but we lost Dinardo's last coached game to Houston in '99, 20-7. Hal Hunter coached (and won) the Arkansas game to finish the season after Dinardo's firing.

And the rest is history.

3. LSUMyrtleBeach

LSUMyrtleBeach Founding Member

High and low moments in consecutive weeks.

I agree with the most obvious mentioned, but how bout the 55- 21 win over Florida State in 1982 with the Orange Bowl berth on the line for the winner. That was a great moment.

Unfortunately I returned to Tiger Stadium the following week to see LSU lose to Tulane Greenies in the poring rain.

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Re: High and low moments in consecutive weeks.

I was there for both of those as well. Talk about a short trip from the penthouse to the outhouse.

5. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I guess I'm showing my age but how about the 1966 Cotton Bowl against #1 Arkansas? And the 1971 game against ND, 28-8? The worst licking ever put on an Ara Parseghian coached ND team to that time. Three goal line stands! I think the 1963 Cotton Bowl win over Texas would rank in there as well.
    And the hiring of Nick Saban!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

IN 2003, THE BEST IN THE NATION AND THE SEC!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

6. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I tend to agree with all of you. To me the games "live" outweigh the TV ones. I've never been to omaha, so even though I agree that the Morris's homer was great, it's not the same for me. My favorites are:
    a)Bert Jones to Brad Davis in 1972, &
    b)the 1986 Basketball March madness. That basketball team was a team of destiny.
    c)The 1982 Florida State game in the fog with the oranges raining was another one.

7. Erin Krohl

Erin Krohl Founding Member

Re: High and low moments in consecutive weeks.

I also was there for both games and remember how it rained oranges in Tiger Stadium after the win over FSU?

The Tulkane game was ugly - wasn't it a 3-3 tie? (Yes they tied way back then)

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Re: Re: High and low moments in consecutive weeks.

No, we lost 31-28.

9. Erin Krohl

Erin Krohl Founding Member

Oh yea thanks for reminding me - I knew there was three points involved. Also, way back then you could actually drink what you snuck into the stadium.... probably effected my memory