Top 10 Tiger sports moments

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Top 10: 1) Cannon H'ween run; 2) Morris HR in CWS; 3) Jones to Davis; 4) Bluegrass Miracle; 5) Turner sack of White in NC game; 6) Anthony Wilson game-winner ag. Memphis St. in Deaf Dome in 86 regional; 7) Hodson to Fuller, 88; 8) Blanton layup ag. UK in 86 regional final; 9) Spears INT for TD in NC game; 10) Herb Tyler TD run ag. #1 Fla., 97

Hon. Mention: Blanton game-winner ag. ND in Superdome; Twillie INT. in endzone ag. Auburn, 95; Kennison 100+ punt return ag. MSU; several weaving Todd Kinchen TD runs ag. A&M

What have I missed?

Worst moments/games I can recall: Tulane game, 73, 81, 82; NIT losses to Tulane and UNO; Toi Cook grandslam for Stanford; Indiana and Louisville losses in Final 4; loss to Indiana in 87 regional final (that one hurt!); Fla. 58, LSU 3; Miami 44, LSU 3; FSU 41, LSU 3; loss to UAB in football and last week in basketball; loss to Tulane in superegional in baseball; last second losses to Ark and Iowa in football; last second loss to Ky in OT game in 81 on Kyle Macy shot

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that's an excellent list. you have a lot of LSU stuff crammed in your memory bank. can't argue yet I may rearrange a couple though maybe not.

its obvious you don't drink enough.

3. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I'd like to think winning both National Championships in football ought to be up there. I'm sure most of you know that the TAF site has a chronological listing of "great moments" with video. If you haven't seen them its worth a look.

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

you forgot to include giving up a 30+ point lead to Kentucky in the second half and don't forget jamie howard and his steller game against auburn

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The greatest moment in LSU sports had to be when they announced that Nick Saban would be LSU's new football coach... I didnt like the guy, but he turned things around for this university... its nice to be great in baseball, track, etc... but you arent on the national map until you are a football power.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Why ruin a great feel good thread about the best moments in Tigah history by adding the worst? Heck, I do everything I can to forget the worse ones.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Red's List:

1. Warren Morris Home run wins 1996 NC
    2. Billy Cannon Punt return earns 1959 Heisman
    3. Bert Jones to Davis pass with no time left 1972
    4. Eddie Fuller Earthquake Game reception 1988
    5. Basketball win over #1 Kentucky in 1978
    6. Football win over #1 Florida in 1997
    7. Bluegrass Miracle Hail Mary pass 2002
    8. Lowest seeded basketball team to ever make the final four 1986
    9. Womens Track wins 10 straight National Championships
    10. Undefeated LSU beats Clemson in Sugar Bowl to win 1958 National Championship

Oh . . . and unheralded LSU wins the 2003 National Football Championship!

8. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

An excellent list of both the good and the bad. I agree with all of them - but let me add my own personal top sports memories.

1.) When my buddies and I swiped the cap off the head of an Ole Miss cheerleader after the '76 game (they also snatched a Rebel flag out of the hands of some little kid, but I am not proud of that). Both relics are still in existence.

2.) When Dale Brown referred to the "S" on the newly designed LSU basketball uniforms as looking like a "piece of snot."

3.) Seeing a stupored-out LSU basketball player (who shall remain nameless - and no one here would remember him anyway) perched on a stool at "Chuck's" (across the river in Addis) yelling to a girl across the room, "Loreeeeen! You got a nice assssss!"

4.) Three LSU victories over Tulane in the late 50's & early 60's by the score of 62-0.

5.) Observing the late Greg Cook stepping out of a VW beetle at 1:00 in the morning, wreathed in smoke like a genie coming out of a bottle, wearing heart-shaped sunglasses, at a fried chicken place on Nicholls Drive.

9. -T-

-T- Founding Member

"Blanton game-winner ag. ND in Superdome"

that was against #2 Georgetown in front of the biggest actual crowd to ever watch a game at the time, also was on national tv on cbs.

just clarifying that it was bigger than just a game against notre dame. we did play notre dame the next year when shaq came.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That was Paul Carey's grand slam. But good memory to recall that Toi Cook was a member of that Stunford team.