Top 5 Best Games In LSU Football History

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux5000, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

Here is mine:

#5- LSU 33 Kentucky 30- Unbelievable.
    #4- LSU 28 Florida 21- Number One Goes Down In Death Valley.
    #3- LSU 7 Ole Miss 3- Billy Cannon's punt return has to make the list.
    #2- LSU 21 Oklahoma 14- Don't need much explanation for this one.
    #1- LSU 17 Ole Miss 14- Eli Fell Down will be 3 words an LSU fan can say to any Ole Miss fan they see from now until the end of time. I was more emotional after this win than the Sugar Bowl. Quite possibly the greatest football game I have ever witnessed.

2. BB

BB Founding Member

1. LSU def. OU Sugar Bowl
    2. Earthquake Game
    3. LSU def. UF 1997
    4. Bluegrass Miracle
    5. LSU def. UT in Overtime in 2000

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

4. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

All of these are great. My personal favorite was 1972 Ole Miss 17-16 win with no time left on the clock.

5. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

How about LSU vs Notre Dame in Tiger Stadium in 1971 (maybe '72). Notre Dame DB Clarence Ellis shot his mouth off before the game, declaring that Andy Hamilton would not catch a pass on him. Hamilton caught at least two touchdowns, if I recall correctly. On one, he juked Ellis so bad that Ellis was running toward the post while Andy was grabbing the ball in the corner of the end zone. Total domination by LSU.

Maybe the most exciting loss ever was LSU vs. USC in 1979. I know that was the most exciting and dramatic game, start to finish, I have ever been to. Complete intensity.

Another big one not yet mentioned was LSU over Florida in Gainesville, 1982. Dalton Hilliard was a freshman and ran all over the Gators. Before this game, LSU could never seem to beat anyone on the road. This game broke that old hex, and later in the year LSU beat Bama in Birmingham for the first time in many years.

My other two would be the Bluegrass Miracle and that recent little game LSU played in New Orleans.

6. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Huh. Pastimer, I didn't know Dalton Hilliard went to LSU. In reference to this past Ole Miss game, I was there, in the band. Call me soft if you like, but seeing Eli fall down was not what we wanted. I sincerely felt sorry for the guy, because that was just bad luck (although it probably wasn't helped by the fact that Lavalais hit the center so hard he had to backpedal). I wish we could've won by a better turn of events. But what the hell. That's the way the ball bounces.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

You go to LSU and didn't know Dalton Hilliard was a Tiger? Whoa.

Lavalais was the reason Eli fell down. It was obvious on TV from the second it happened, and at that point in the nailbiter of a 4th quarter, it didn't matter HOW we beat Ole Miss--just that we do it.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Ditto!!! How could follow LSU and not know that, that's recent history. Do you know who Charles Alexander is?

9. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

give him a break......he's in the band.........

10. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

Hillard and James gang was awesome. Even if you are in the band that's no excuse.