Top 5 favorite Beers

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by phlashman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

[​IMG]

Thank you, you've been great. That's it for me!

2. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

#1 Hacker Pshor Octoberfest Munchen

I occasionally drink other beers, but I've never found one to compare to this.

3. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

If you like dark beers try 'Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout'. Oatmeal stouts tend to have a lighter coffee flavor than most stouts and the oatmeal will give the beer a creamy mouthfeel. Almost like coffee with cream in it. This is one of my favorite beers.

Another one you should try is 'Boddingtons Pub Ale'. This is a bitter that comes in a can with a nitrogen widget in the can similar to Guinness. The nitrogen gives the beer a smooth mouthfeel and low carbonation.

When in England make ask around at the pubs and see if they have any "Real Ale" or "cask conditioned ale." "Real Ale" is allowed to go through a second fermentation stage inside an oak barrel where the beer where pick up flavors from the oak and self carbonate. The beer is poured directly from the cask without the aid of CO2. I never had any, but everyone I talk to says it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Like drc40 said most beers over there are lower in alcohol than you find in the states. Even beers you've had in the states, like Guinness, have a specific "American" recipe that tend to be higher in alcohol. So you'll be able to down a few pints and not be blitzed.

Most of all take notes and come back with recommendations for us when we decide to cross the pond. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

My current top 5 which supercedes all others I have posted.

Dixie
    Skull Splitter
    Bud
    Mickey's Ice
    PBR.

5. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

I prefer the hard stuff but:

1. Bud
    2. Bud Light
    3. Corona + Lime
    4. Sol
    5. Miller Light

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I will definitely keep notes and take all suggestions to heart. I will be in touch with locals and find a means to explore these options. I am looking forward to this trip a lot. Much of this will be about finding my daughter an appropriate education, but I am planning to have my fun.

I plan on visiting the Bingley Arms in Leeds, a pub in continuous operation since 905. I don't know if they sell t-shirts or caps, but post the size you want, AND YOU JUST MIGHT GET A LATE X-MAS PRESENT.

http://mackemsteve.typepad.com/eat_carrots/2007/04/britains_oldest.html