Top 5 Football Coaches in NCAA History

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LOTTERY, Jun 11, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree with you that there are many aspects involved in picking these coaches. And of course a list like this is almost impossible to come up with. I also included information such as SOS, which is why Bud Wilkinson doesn't rate so high for me.

And with Paterno, I can't let these last dozen mediocre years go by without affecting his position on the list.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How about a list of the top 5 NFL coaches? No controversy about strength of schedule there since everybody plays everybody.

1. Vince Lombardi - Should be #1 on everybody's list
    2. Tom Landry - Built the Cowboys from day one and took them to 5 Superbowls, winning 2
    3. Don Shula - Coached the Colts and Dolphins to 6 Superbowls total. Only coach to ever have a perfect record.
    4. Chuck Noll - 4 Superbowl wins in 6 years.
    5. (tie) Bill Walsh - I never liked Walsh but he deserves the respect for designing the West Coast offense and putting Joe Montana in the perfect offense to take full advantage of Montana's skills.
    5. (tie) Joe Gibbs. Will be interesting to see how well he does after 10 out of coaching.

Coaches from the past who should be on a lot of lists:

Paul Brown - Won the NFL title the Browns first year in the NFL

George Halas - Owner, player and coach, One of the founding fathers of the NFL

Future listmakers

Bill Parcells - If he takes a 3rd team to the Superbowl he might have to tie for #5

Bill Belichek - He is on track with 2 Superbowl wins in 3 years

Dick Vermiel - if he can somehow avoid last seasons late season collapse and get the Chiefs to the Superbowl this year or next before he retires for good.

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Yes, but once again all the colleges he (Eddie Robinson) coached against were on equal footing. All those colleges got those black athletes and he dominated the rest so once again it's relative. In fact IMO, many of his teams early in his career could have beat the NCAA I-A champions easily.

4. islstl

Bud Grant for Minnesota but he lost all 4 super bowls he got them to

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Marv Levy went to 4 Superbowls in a row but the Bills lost them all.

Bud Grant was once quoted as saying "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

6. islstl

Nice quote there from Bud. He should know.....

When I was 11 years old I got into watching football and my team was the Minnesota Vikings.

I still remember the 1975 playoffs where the famous Paul Krause vs Drew Pearson interference call that was blown by the officials. It should have been offensive interference for Pearson pushing Krause down on the play.

I was crushed as a young kid watching my team lose. Dallas went on to lose to the Steelers in the SB anyway. The Vikings would probably have done the same.