Top DT looking at LSU, to camp in July

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by ramah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Jerrell Powe (6-3, 322, 5.2) of Waynesboro, Miss. is one of the top defensive tackles in the Southeast and he has the scholarship offers to back it up.

“I’ve got offers from Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, West Virginia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, Nebraska, Southern Miss and Memphis,” said the 6-3, 322-pounder from Waynes County High School. “My top five right now would be Auburn, LSU, West Virginia, Alabama and Tennessee.”

Powe had a stellar junior campaign and put his name on the recruiting boards after logging 71 tackles and 14 sacks with All-State recognition on the way. He said he models his game after former LSU defensive tackle Chad Lavalais in more ways than one.

“I play with good quickness, good speed, power and technique,” Powe said. “I think I have a way of taking over the game at crunch time.”

One would think Mississippi State and Ole Miss would be near the top of his list but Powe is looking to leave the Magnolia State. At one time Auburn was considered his leader but things changed after all of the attention he got during the May evaluation period.

“They’re all about even right now,” he said. “Auburn was my leader at one point but more competition entered the picture.”

Some of that competition is in the form of the BCS National Champs and LSU coach Will Muschamp.

“Coach Muschamp said they really wanted me over there and I’d fit right in,” said Powe. “They’re a good group and they have a lot of talent. I love their style of play over there."

“My top five right now would be Auburn, LSU, West Virginia, Alabama and Tennessee.”

Sonny Shipp covers LSU Recruiting for TigerRag