top Football/Basketball programs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUweezie, Mar 14, 2005.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Re: Teams That Can Bowl and Dance

i think only OU, Texas and Wisconsin should be ahead of us. perhaps iowa and UF too.

2. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

Re: Teams That Can Bowl and Dance

I'm pretty excited that our team is good enough to be in a January 1 bowl game, and the NCAA tourney. Man its damn good to be a Tiger right now. Maybe one of the best times in recent memory with all the good things that are going on. Dont forget to pull for the Ladies in Knoxville.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah I actually had a thread I started about a year ago ranking the top 20 teams with cumulative football/basketball/baseball programs.

Texas and LSU were #1 and #2, respectively, in my poll last year this time.

I think these are the only 2 schools with legitimate programs in all 3 sports.

FSU is trying to break into that category as their basketball program has really improved over the past 5 years or so. Miami still has a ways to go in basketball before its deemed legitimate. Oklahoma is getting their both in baseball and basketball.

4. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

I agree with that. Nice to see that Texas can still finish #4 in this year's while having such a down year in basketball.

Since baseball is so big down here though, I believe it should be football/men's basketball/baseball. When you add that in, I'm not sure that anybody comes close to Texas, LSU, and Miami.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

How many more sports would we have to add to get Texas off the list.. Throw women's basketball in as the fourth and then it's a two school list with LSU & Texas. How's the track program at Texas? :grin:

6. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

Pretty good...I think. Hell, you could probably add in all of the sports and still have Texas and LSU at the top.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

It really is an interesting topic... I was trying to think of additional "important" sports to add in and Texas is always on the list with LSU. You'd think there would be a lot more teams and our views were just biased, but there simply aren't more.