Top LA players and LSU commits

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by pharpe, Jun 8, 2006.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

This is a pretty interesting look at the top recruits out of LA for the last 6 years and which ones the Tigers signed. I think we have pretty much dominated the top in state talent. Since 2002 we have signed 16 of 21 Rivals top 100 athletes out of LA. We only lost the top prospect once in that time frame and that was Lane. We all know how that worked out.

Rivals100 Louisianians

2002 (Postseason)
    58. Justin Vincent, Barbe … LSU
    67. Lester Ricard, Amite … LSU
    76. Akieem Jolla, St. Augustine … Miami-Fla.
    81. Chase Pittman, Evangel Christian … Texas
    83. Jonathan Wade, Evangel Christian … Tennessee
    99. Kyle Williams, Ruston … LSU

2003 (Postseason)
    32. Robert Lane, Neville … Ole Miss
    41. Nick Child, Rummel … LSU
    42. Alley Broussard, Acadiana … LSU
    66. Carnell Stewart, John Curtis … LSU
    87. LaRon Landry, Hahnville … LSU

2004 (Postseason)
    3. Early Doucet, St. Martinville … LSU
    47. Glenn Dorsey, East Ascension … LSU
    71. Ryan Miller, Barbe … LSU
    72. Marlon Favorite, West Jefferson … LSU

2005 (Postseason)
    16. Ryan Perrilloux, East St. John … LSU
    61. Al Jones, St. Augustine … LSU
    94. Nic Harris. Alexandria … Oklahoma

2006 (Postseason)
    20. Al Woods, Elton … LSU
    50. Charles Scott, Jonesboro-Hodge … LSU
    97. Jared Mitchell, Westgate … LSU

2007 (Initial)
    14. Joe McKnight, John Curtis … ?
    35. Chad Jones, Southern Lab … ?
    91. Ahmad Paige, Sterlington … ?
    100. Will Blackwell, West Monroe … ?

2. jjtsaints

jjtsaints Founding Member

my guess

2007 (Initial)
    14. Joe McKnight, John Curtis (USC)
    35. Chad Jones, Southern Lab (LSU)
    91. Ahmad Paige, Sterlington (FSU)
    100. Will Blackwell, West Monroe (LSU)

3. 00Tiger

00Tiger Founding Member

Also, Akieem Jolla is now at New Mexico State, I believe.Wasn't getting PT at Miami.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Looks like Louisiana's top athletes have been good to us, and the ones we've lost haven't been big losses.

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

My point exactly. If Miles can continue the tradition Saban started of keeping the top talent in state (which he has for the last two years) then we should be a dominate program for years to come. I'm really getting excited about '06. I think we have an ass load of talent to plug into the vacant spots on the lines. Let's go get McKnight! Geaux Tigers!

6. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

I've always wondered why we aren't able to pick up more kids coming out of Evangel.....I lived in Monroe for a couple of years and it always seemed like LSU was a lock to get the majority of players coming out of West Monroe, but it was a different story about the Evangel players.

Anyone who knows about high school football in North Louisiana, knows about the heated rivalry between Evangel and West Monroe. Is this the reason why kids from Evangel don't hold LSU in high regard or do you think it's because we are a State school and their coming from a private school - so LSU just isn't good enough for them?

And yes, I know we have Jacob Hester and Chase Pittman on our team and they are from Evangel, but Chase actually transfered from UT - so that makes Jacob our only true kid (out of high school) from Evangel that is on our team.

Does anyone have any comments or knowledge on this subject?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. We have gotten good players from Evangel over the years. A few have goten away, but LSU ususally gets the players it really wants from there. It's just that they produce a lot of division-I talent and many get signed. Not all were sought by LSU.

2. There were two brief periods of bad feelings between LSU and Evangel. In the late Dinardo era, the Evangel coach Dunn made a foolish public statement that Dinardo wasn't recruiting Evangel seriously and he was recommending his players go elsewhere. The comment was aimed at Dinardo (and it was true) but what he hit was LSU and LSU fans made it known to him that he was slandering LSU and hurting recruiting. Dunn was the butt of LSU fans ill feelings for a while, but Nick seemed to smooth things over between them.

3. The other bad time was after the Booty brothers both departed early from LSU. Their father, an assistant coach at Evangel, felt both players were treated badly by LSU and told Evangel recruits horror stories that weren't true such as "LSU will drop you like a rock if you get injured."

First of all, Josh Booty was the starting QB while he was here and made all-SEC, so LSU coaches treated him fine. However the fans preference was for Rohan Davey and Papa Booty resented that, encouraging Josh to leave early for the NFL.

Little brother Abram Booty was a starting WR when he was injured. When he came back Josh Reed had stepped into the spot and was not going to be unseated. Abram thought he was entitled to his starting job back when he got healthy. It didn't seem to matter that Reed was breaking records and went on to win the Biletnikof award as the nations best receiver. Instead Abram accused Nick of dumping him because of his injury then he quit the team and transferred to Valdosta State.

4. Both Nick and Les did not let any petty squabble stop them from recruiting Evangel players and coach Booty is no longer affiliated with Evangel. LSU goes after players it wants from Evangel and gets most of them.

8. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

most of the kids on that list that didn't come here weren't offered.

9. lsusaints

lsusaints Founding Member

neither is Dunn (his sister is head of the physical therapy department at lsuhsc-shreveport). they also have to play in class 1a now

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

To be honest, I didn't know he (Abram) transferred to Valdosta--I always thought he just quit football all togther.... :shock: