Top recruits that are still considering LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Oct 8, 2007.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Rivals board

02. Julio Jones - WR
    04. Darrell Scott - RB
    16. Arthur Brown - LB
    19. Matt Patchan - OL
    23. TJ Bryant - DB
    38. Chancey Aghayere - DE
    43. Chase Clement - DE
    46. DeAndre Brown - WR
    50. Brenden Beal - LB
    62. Chris Tolliver - WR
    67. Dontavius Jackson - RB
    77. Antoine McLain - OL
    88. Lynn Katoa - LB
    97. Charles Mitchell - DB
    107. Brandon Thompson - DT
    116. Jerrell Harris - LB
    131. Joshua Jarboe - WR
    192. TJ Lawrence - WR
    200. Tyler Edwards - TE
    220. Greg Shaw - OL
    248. Travis Benjamin - WR

21 recruits

WR - 6
    LB - 4
    OL - 3
    RB - 2
    DE - 2
    DB - 2
    DT - 1
    TE - 1

CParso, any idea on who we have a good shot at?

2. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

From everything I have read and heard I would think Tolliver and Clement are pretty much locks.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Long to outside shot with these guys. At most we end up with 1 or 2 of these guys... There are others that you didn't list - guys that are currently commited to other schools. LSU still has a shot to turn some of those guys like JB Shugarts. Also, this doesn't list JUCO/prep school, which happens to have four 5 star guys that we've got good shots at.

Will be Tigers. Unfortunately, Brown & Tolliver both look like very big question marks to qualify, although what I've heard as of late is that Brown may actually have a better chance than Tolliver.

4. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

yeah brown is pretty much a lock an his grades are going to be fine.....this kid has an upside thats out of this world.

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Good news about his grades. I remember in a previous post CParso saying Surrency told his friend he was coming to LSU. There will be some talk of a package deal with him and his fellow JC team members coming here, but that sought of thing almost never seems to pan out. I hope we do get them if we want them though. Our most talented position during recruiting seems to be WR in recent times, but it also seems to be one of the most problematic as for as qualifying goes. We have Benton waiting in the wings now. You basically never here of a JC player being redshirted because there is usually a need at a position and/or they are mature players and could get immediate playing time at another school, but I assume it is possible. They usually don't hit star status until their senior year though, like Wroten, because there is still a big transition. But I'm glad we had Byrd to catch that TD pass against Florida.

1 person likes this.
  6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm usually not a big fan of going after JUCO guys, but the talent on these 3 El Camino guys is undeniable. "Package deals" rarely work out, but often times schools don't want the whole package - just a part of it. I'm not sure how bad we want Thompson, the DT, but we definitely really want Kuli & Surrency.

Also a qualifying concern...

Getting a JUCO WR last year was a great move as we desperately needed a guy that could step up to be our #3, and Byrd has really come through pretty well so far. He'll only get better as the season goes on & next year. Losing Doucet next year will hurt. LaFell & the Mitchells will be Jr's & Byrd will be a senior. I'm not sure of the need for a JUCO WR in this class, but I want Surrency because he just looks awesome & if 2 years is all we can have him for I'll take it.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

A little more info...

All had glowing reviews of their visit to LSU. I'd say this put us squarely back in the picture with TJ Bryant. As for the other guys, we've never been considered close to being the leader & I don't see the visit as having changed that.

I saw him at the USC game & he looked like he was really enjoying himself, but from reading Rivals/Scout it doesn't look like we're in the driver's seat.

8. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

man i just watched about 30 min of film on corey surrency I LIKE ill take him 4 2yrs ...........tell u another thing look at that QB that kid looks good throwing surrency the ball

2 people like this.
  9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I mentioned Benton yesterday and he is in the news today. The Times Picayune reported today that he reaffirmed his commitment to LSU now that he is at Hargrove. I'll have to look on rivals, but I recall someone saying he is rated as a 5 star now. If so, we gain a star from when we offered him last year. Quick question, are the stars gold or silver? I always liked the gold ones in kindergarten.

10. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Yep, Benton is the number 1 prep school prospect as rated by rivals. They don't have him listed as our verbal yet.