Topwater Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by GregLSU, Mar 18, 2017.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I decided to go hit the water a couple of evenings before we left for San Diego. Wanted to try out a new topwater buzzbait I had gotten. My evolution baits grassburner turned some heads and produced some nice quality strikes. This was the best of the evening, a 5.44# prespawn fatty. Bass.JPG

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Nice fish there. top water is fun as shit.

GregLSU likes this.
  3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Yes sir. One of my favorite techniques for the early morning and late evening bite. I fish crankbaits almost exclusively other than that.

I missed another really nice blow up about 15 minutes or so after I released that one, wasn't paying attention when she blew up on it, and gave her too much time to spit it. That one was probably in the 6-7 pound range tho.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yeah we used to fish those tiny torpedoes early morning and late evening. Is a blast.

GregLSU likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I very rarely bass fish. I don't have the patience to make 1000 casts for every bass I catch. Probably do a lot better with live bait.

But one time I did go bass fishing with a pal who would rather make futile casts than actually put fish in the cooler. After several hours of not a single bite I tied on a rubber frog. I had no thought of actually catching a bass by then but out of boredom I was hopping the frog from one lily pad to the next. The last hop landed perfectly on a lily pad and after about 3 or 4 seconds before I could hop it again a bass hit it from underneath the pad about 8 or 10 feet from the boat. Went just over 4 pounds.
    Only fish we caught all day. I had wanted to stop and buy some shiners on the way to the landing but my buddy didn't stop. When we got back to the landing there was and old couple there who had caught about 100 sac-au-lait.

tirk and GregLSU like this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I love throwing spro frogs in the pads in the early summer around here. The blow ups are violent, and usually result in quality fish. I'm of the rare breed tho, I can fish all day for that one big bite. Don't get me wrong, I love catching numbers of small ones when the big ones aren't biting well, but I do a lot of lunker hunting, takes a lot of time and patience.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I've never really been able to work a top water bait all that well.

GregLSU likes this.
  8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Practice bro. The quality of Bass that hit are usually the better variety. The gem about this particular bait is it's basically a cast and retrieve bait, no special "techniques" to work it like walking the dog with spooks or frogs, etc. Just vary the retrieve speed to see what they're wanting.