Total loss to Louisiana Higher Education...48 million....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Feb 18, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Another 6 million dollars in cuts are headed towards LSU...This makes what...almost Forty million in cuts in three months or so?

She said that she wants to, "spread the grief equally"...

Trust me, Kathy, boo...The "grief" is when those kids who do get degrees from LSU have them so undervalued in comparison to their counterparts in other states and private institutions that they must leave the state to find adequate compenstation amounts...

Spending money in higher and other types of education lessens the burden on all state funded welfare agencies, from health and human services to retirement systems, because the less people depend on state civil service employment (ie-Irish Welfare) and the bloated state governmental pension system, the less they'll depend on the government to bail them out. The more they depend on the private sector.

I am just so enraged by the thought of "spreading the grief", and then she claimed, "she didn't know where the cuts would fall"...

GIMME A BREAK!

2. JD

JD Founding Member

I agree education should be a priority, but where do you get that she is cutting $40 million from LSU?

3. TigerEducated

www.daily-report.com

I left you a link almost a month ago detailing how the LSU officials were bracing for a cut of almost 30 million in total from teh Law School, the General Fund, the University itself, and the Ag Center...You telling me you didn't see that? You didn't go to the Baton Rouge Business Report's site? I can't help that...

But, go there now...and read the NEW cuts they're administering, and the PANTYWAIST excuses they're coming up with...

4. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

How much longer do we have Blanco? Something like 3 years 11 months? Think we can see if Gary Coleman wants to be governor here? He couldn't possibly be any worse.

5. JD

JD Founding Member

I read this link and I read the one a month ago-neither said what you purport.

Yes, there's a shortfall right now-that has nothing to do with her-if she funds it that way, then you'd be right, but nothing suggests she won't re-arrange other priorities and cut funding by $48 mill

Anyway, as is, it's $8 million for LSU, not $40 million

6. TigerEducated

LOL....

She's not "cutting"...She's just not meeting funding "expectations"...Like giving out money for the expected higher insurance premiums, and other costs that sprial each and every year, as per the norm in higher education budgets...

By not increasing the normal amount of funding (not increasing funding, mind you, but helping offset spiraling, yearly, expected costs that always escalate, such as merit raises, etc...), she is CUTTING money that the school will have to find somewhere else, and programs and quality suffer because of it.

The higher insurance premiums still have to be paid. Where does this money come from that had come from the state?

You guessed it...

7. JD

JD Founding Member

What are you saying- you honestly expected a $40 mill increase this year in higher ed funding?

Get real

She's been on the job 2 months. Let's see what happens.

ONe thing that is in order- tuition increase.
    You want a U of TExas, and we don't have Texas' economy or tax base-LSU's tution is less.

And could you explain this statement to me?
    "The "grief" is when those kids who do get degrees from LSU have them so undervalued in comparison to their counterparts in other states and private institutions that they must leave the state to find adequate compenstation amounts..."
    What are you saying, out of state companies value an LSU degree more than an in-state company? If LSU was higher ranked then local companies would pay more for the graduates? Neither makes any sense to me, so I assume I misinterpreted.

But I'll be clear- so that LSU graduates can get better jobs out of state is NOT a reason for the taxpayers to increase its funding-to lure new buinesses into the state IS a reason.