Toughest Hurdle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, May 12, 2004.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Just thinking about how often I read posts or hear people talk about LSU's toughest opponents in football. It seems that most people believe that Georgia is the toughest hurdle for LSU.

Personally, going into each season beating Florida is always something I am not confident in. I realize that Florida as of late is not the same team they one were but it seems they continue to give LSU a run for its money. Hopefully LSU will establish a dominance over Florida.

Just curious what other people think. Is Georgia really the toughest team or is it still Florida?

On a side note, I suppose a Georgia fan could ask a similar question, given their lack of luck in their annual game against Florida. They could question whether or not their toughest hurdle is LSU or if it is Florida.

:helmet:

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I believe it's Florida, however if they played us in the SECCG this past year instead of UGA, we would have tore that AZZ up, much like Iowa did em in their bowl game.

3. gotskeeters

gotskeeters Founding Member

I agree, Florida is a tough hurdle for us, but Georgia is the class of the West right now. They have a very good coach, and a very good team.
    Don't let the fact that LSU handled them easily in the SEC championship make you forget that they were a game or two away from the national championship picture the last 2 seasons.

4. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

... I believe that UGA will be the toughest of the regular season opponents, assuming that no other team in the SEC has a freak breakout season.

I am in no way disregarding UF though... but we beat UGA twice last year, and LOST to UF. Therefore you have to add in the revenge factor...
    which in my opinion will make saban and the squad more ready to play in the swamp...

note: I never said that we would loose to any of these teams... I am just giving my opinion on the toughest opponent that we will BEAT!!!! :lsug: :champs: :geaux:

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Georgia is in the East.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

The University of Florida has beaten Mark Richt each year he's been there, I believe. They also beat us last year, the year we won a national title.

They have Chris Leak, and I hate to say it, but he's a more polished version of Quincy Carter. Quincy Carter got sacked less times in college than I have fingers on both my hands (I have 10, in case anyone can't count that high). I think Leak is more elusive, and is a better decision maker. A better athlete and a better quarterback.

That's scary. We were not at our best, but Zaunbrecher and their now head offensive coordinator carved our 1st team defense apart in the early going.

The shotgun, breaking the huddle with 15 seconds left took away our substitutions, as well as what Saban takes advantage of: Teams that don't break early can't read defenses and disguised coverages as well or as long.

Leak is tailor made to eat our defense up. A mobile quarterback who can make the touch passes. Hard to tackle, cannon armed, and a guy who can create once the pocket collapses. That's the only thing we haven't faced in spades. A mobile guy that can create havoc.

Don't say that Matt Jones is on Leak's level, either...He's a poor man's Wayne Madkin, with an extra half step.

Leak-and Florida every year he stays-will scare me the most, until another team beats us.

7. GoldenFlashes72

GoldenFlashes72 Founding Member

Gee whillikers, can anyone see the forest for the trees

Ladies, look at the recruiting wars over the past four years.

Who in the SEC has outrecruited LSU? Answer: Nobody

Who is damned close if not right up there with us? Answer: Florida

Who will continue to keep up to LSU's level in the future? Answer: Probably Florida, even with Zook.

You don't need ten fingers to figure that out. But if you're psychic, guess how many fingers I'm holding up?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Florida been recruiting right there with us the past few years. I think we play them in the Ga. Dome this year as another rematch. They doubted we'd beat UGA twice and they will doubt we beat UF twice, that's the best way to have it. UGA is good, but IMO get waaaaaaaay to much hype.
    UGA been recruiting good too. Auburn gets the rejects and leftovers, that's part of the little sis mentality they have with UA :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think Florida without a doubt is our toughest opponent.
    Even before Spurriers days....
    I never will forget being at Tiger Stadium watching us play the Gators in the mid 80's.
    They beat us 11-0 in the game, thats all I remember..

With the now Sophmore Chris Leak and playing them in the Swamp I think it will be a tough game, I do know Florida is not the team they were in the Spurrier years however.
    I do think Georgia will also be a tough game but like a poster said above I have a hunch that we will have to play and beat Florida twice this year to win it all.
    The Florida game will be tougher because its the game right after the Georgia game.
    If we win against Georgia there is always the emotional let down that can always
    happen with young players although Nick does a pretty good job of surpressing that
    kind of thing.

Georgia will be very good but I just have a feeling that they've already peaked and won't be quite the team they were last year.

10. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Fingers

Six. Florida is the team I worry about more than any other. But....Let me be the first in this thread to say. The next opponent is the toughest. :thumb: