Travis Daniels to play Safety?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MALONE121212, Mar 19, 2004.

1. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I dont think it was a typo. Daniel Francis is good, and he very well could start.

Dandy's Depth Chart is as follow:
    LCB

Corey Webster, 6'0", 180, SR *
    Ronnie Prude, 5'11", 176, SR**
    Keron Gordon, 6'1", 188, SO
    Daniel Francis, 5'11", 175, SO*
    Jeffery Jack, 5'11", 180, FR

RCB

Travis Daniels, 6'1", 175, SR *
    Jonathon Zenon, 6'1", 189, RSFR
    Ronnie Prude, 5'11", 176, SR**
    Nick Childs, 6'0", 169, RSFR
    Mario Stevenson, 6'2", 195, SO

SS

La Ron Landry, 6'2", 180, SO*
    Jessie Daniels, 5'11", 195, SO**SS
    Craig Steltz, 6'2", 195, FR
    Chevis Jackson, 6'0", 190, FR

FS

Daniel Francis, 5'11", 175, RSFR
    La Ron Landry, 6'2", 180, SO*
    Curtis Taylor, 6'4",195,FR

He did this a while back i believe. Francis is very good though, he also wasnt redshirted last year.

2. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

What a problem to have. We are in better shape defensively than we were a year ago. Man... if we improve this year as we did last... what a defense. :champs:

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

It wont be easy to replace Lav and Hunt though. We struggled without Hunt in the lineup. Hopefully CW and TD can fill the Field General role vacated by Hunt.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

While I agree that Hunt is a very important man we need to replace I wouldn't say we struggled against UF last year. We just didn't have our usually incredibly good defense, just a very good one in that game. and I don't think a cornerback will be able to fill Hunt's mainb role as they don't call the DB's plays like a safety does simply due to them being out on an island and not being able to see the entire field or being heard by everyone. A safety will have to still do that.

5. conradj

conradj Founding Member

yeah I guess struggled was not the right word, but they definetly werent at the top of their game. Also, I know safety's call the plays and such, I meant leadership, someone to keep the troops calm and focused, anyone will be capable of that.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think we may have several guys capable of doing that, hopefully anyway. I just remember M. Hill saying he sure was glad he didn't have to call out all of the schemes and coverages like Turner and Hunt did as he was never able to determine which call to make.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no way daniels plays safety. I'll state my reputation on it... ok scratch that, i have none. I just dont believe that for anything. I think he meant JD but i didnt read it to see if he is clear.

8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Well, when Jack Hunt went down late this past season, what did Saban do? He moved Travis Daniels to Safety and put in someone else as the Corner (I remember Gay going in). I believe that we were burned on a really long running play for a TD that Hunt would have stopped but Daniels was out of position. I hope Saban leaves Travis Daniels at CB. :)

I expect Jessie Daniels to fill the one saftey spot and Landry to fill the other one. This past season, it was not Francis out there, it was Jessie. I think that Saban will trust Jessie more this season and leave Travis at CB.

9. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Francis is a FS, J Daniels is a SS. I thought I heard Landry was moving to Strong (a position better suited for his style of play).

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Exactly who do you propose be the "quarterback" of our defense? Freshmen?