Troops in Syria

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, Nov 1, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm doing fine, Hoss. There is not a lot of difference between McVeigh and the Tsarnaev brothers--rogue operators deluded by a cause that made them think they needed to kill a lot of people. I distinguished clearly between the background nut job stuff we have always had to deal with and some organized attempt by a foreign power or organization to send operators here to cause mayhem. We can deal with both of them, but it's definitely two different flavors of response.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well @red55 here's some more information for you to digest. Apparently many of the leaders of ISIS are former members of Saddam's party and former Iraqi army officers.
    The president has seriously underestimated the'jv' team.
    http://wpo.st/T3en0

3. red55

Do you think this is news? That has been known all along. You can blame the De-Baathification policies of Paul Bremer, Dubya's appointee as first director of the Coalition Provisional Authority. His policies are disastrous and got him fired. But all of the Baathists that were denied jobs in the new Iraqi government went over to AL Qaeda in Iraq which became ISIS after they split.

http://www.businessinsider.com/l-paul-bremer-was-embarrassed-on-first-and-last-days-in-iraq-2014-8

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

No doubt and W has been justifiably criticized for his blunder. Yet the 'smartest man in the world' ignored this calling them the 'jv' and doing little that was effective for 2 years. His attempts to dismiss and minimize the issue have provided ISIS the time and space to metastize to a global threat.

islstl likes this.
  5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

If we are to accept the premise that W's blunders gave birth to ISIS, we have to also accept the premise that Obama's blunders gave ISIS breast milk and nurture to grow.

islstl likes this.
  6. red55

Right wing spin. ISIS has been hammered on a daily basis and are nowhere close to being a "global threat".

7. red55

Ok, you are getting weird.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Ask the Parisians if ISIS is no global threat.

islstl, COTiger and Bengal B like this.
  9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Yeh, probably not my best metaphor.

10. kluke

kluke Founding Member

They may not be global, but I think they've pretty well established they are multi continent. And at this point I think its more likely than not that there will be more attempted attacks of this type in Europe, and eventually attempts made on America. We may get a coalition of big players that can take them out; but they will not go down without taking as many people with them that they can.

Bengal B likes this.