Tubberville on Auburn's scheduling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I'm just amazed that he has a philosophy...

I do think they should put a clause in these game contracts stating that if someone wants out, they have to find a team for LSU/AU/etc. to play before they can back out.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

It... hurts... ahhh... but.. tubby... is.. . RIGHT... i feel dirty...

4. Indiana Tiger

Unless you're in a position where you can dictate the terms, adding a clause that the other guy has to agree to usually costs money. Until now the LSU/AU's haven't been willing to pay for it. And since I have no idea what it would cost, I have no idea if it would be worth it.

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

What's with this 12 games in 2006? Have they passed an official ruling that teams can schedule 12 each year?

Also, will LSU be adding a game or not?

6. Indiana Tiger

I don't think, but I don't know for sure, that it is official yet. But many stories, like this one, write about it as though it will happen or has happened. If it is not official, then most likely it will be soon.

7. Indiana Tiger

Did a little research and the history of the proposal follows:

History
    Jul 12, 2004Submit; Submitted for consideration.Aug 05, 2004Football Issues Committee; Recommends approval for Division I-A. See position statement.Aug 05, 2004Football Issues Committee; Recommends defeat for Division I-AA. See position statement.Sep 09, 2004; Effective date revised to August 1, 2006, by the Big 12 Conference. Also, Big East Conference added as a sponsor to the proposal.Sep 21, 2004Championships/Competition Cabinet, Recommends Approval; See position statement.Oct 19, 2004; Sponsor modified rationale statement.Oct 19, 2004; Division I Management Council (Division I-AA Governance Subcommittee) added Division I-AA football to the proposal.Jan 09, 2005Mgmt Council 1st Review; Division I-A: Gave initial approval and circulated the proposal for membership comment. (Unanimous Voice Vote) and Division I-AA: Gave initial approval and circulated the proposal for membership comment. (Vote: For 9, Against 4)Jan 11, 2005Comment Period; Start of Comment PeriodMar 14, 2005Comment Period; End of Comment Period

I found a link to the process diagram, but I couldn't get it to work and I don't feel like digging thru the by-law manual to find it. My guess is that they are near the end of the process and that they will vote on it at their next meeting post Mar 14. I have no idea how feedback is incorporated and what impact it will have on timing.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Good research. If anyone body knows anything more, please chime in. It looks like it's not official yet. If it isn't, how can Auburn schedule an extra game at this point in the process?

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Sounds like, if LSU was interested in using that 12th date next year to bring in an attractive home game opponent, that Auburn would be willing to consider shuffling their game with LSU if that would help any.

Also, I wonder if LSU's lamentation that one reason why they don't schedule attractive home and home series is they don't have that 12th game available to them is nothing but a smokescreen. In other words, will he hear Les Miles going on about how "tough the conference is" and how, even with the 12th game, "we're not gonna play Michigan", etc.

10. Indiana Tiger

It doesn't hurt to start talking now, but I think Tubberville is just waging a little PR campaign to gain some flexibility in scheduling.