Tubby wants a playoff system

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan23, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Would you agree that Tech was more than likely not a national championship caliber team? If the answer is yes, then my point is made.

2. HogCity Tiger

HogCity Tiger Founding Member

Why? He's already got a payoff system. :angry:

3. PBTiger

PBTiger Founding Member

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Actually, no. I wouldn't agree to that looking back at last season. Either of those 2 teams could have done just as well as one another if they swapped places and they both ended up with the same record. Was it right that Notre Dame was ranked 8 places above TT in week 10 with a 5-2 record when TT was 7-1? Do you think ND would have blown them out in a game between the two? I seriously doubt it.

This situation is a perfect example of why we need something to change. The point you made is generally correct but not so much that it (the current system) isn't in dire need of a change. Which is really what we're talkin about here isn't it?

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I know it's dramatic for many, but I subscribe to one of the proposals two years ago, primarily because it takes the polls out of consideration, except for seeding.

You have 8 leagues of 12 teams, 96 total, each league split into two divisions. Each league has a championship game with the eight winners advancing. The first round, based on the polls, would be 1 versus 8, etc., and the higher ranked team would play at home (traveling costs for fans to a league championship, then potentially three bowls is a major consideration).
    Teams not in the championship series would fill the other bowls.
    This is the only plan I've seen that limits media and poll participation.
    However, as with basketball, the "best" teams don't always get to the finals. There simply is no plan out there that would stop the bitchin' of a losing team's fans.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

You do realize that I am in support of a playoff system, right?

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I agree with Tubby.

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Haha... Yeah I do. I guess I was somewhat ineffective in the last sentence of my last post implying that we're both in favor of the same thing.. just different ways of doing it.. Guess maybe I should have just said it like that. It's all good. :)

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

No need to continue this debate as long as we're both in agreeance that we are desperate need a playoff.:thumb:

10. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

So do most people