Tubby wants a playoff system

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan23, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

I can't believe anyone from LSU would oppose a playoff. This year is a classic example of why. Right now, with one loss, the odds are long for LSU to win the MNC. Yet at year's end you could be the best team in the country. A playoff would give you a second chance to prove it.

Screw MNCs and the money hungry folks. Let's have a playoff like most of the other sports do. Make it the NC and not the MNC (M stands for mythical, money, monkey's...take your pick).

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Everyone says that they want a playoff because they hate the BCS BS. I think it could be interesting and maybe produce more rivalries. However, I think I would be more disappointed that College Football losses its ninch. Most of us would agree that we love the fact that every game counts even if we are on the losing end. The entire outlook of fans would change and football teams wouldnt be as concerned on perfection throughout the season.

How hard would it be for the best team to not only get a a high seed in the playoff system but also prevent a tired team from stumbling only once in the playoffs. I dont think everyone would be happy saying that the best team didnt make it into the NC like in College B-Ball.

We wont see a full playoff ever because the bowls will lose their appeal and asking the fans to make travel plans week after week without knowing exactly where they are going next. Its all about money.

A Plus one or 4 team playoff with the current bowl format seems to be the only logical answer, IMO. However, we need for every conference to have the same format and play a championship game for this to work and to have everyone satisfied on who is the real #1 team.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

You think all those sports that currently have a playoff would be more exciting, like college football, if they dropped their playoff system? Maybe the NFL should go to a bowl system b/c it's soooo exciting?

Yep, let's drop march madness and let the voters choose the winner. Maybe they could have some basketball bowl games?

See how silly all that sounds?:hihi:

4. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

Emailing Myles Brand is pointless. The NCAA has no control over the BCS and is powerless to create a playoff. In fact the closer we get to a playoff the closer that college football would get to returning control to the NCAA, and the BCS presidents in particular don’t want to relinquish control.

If you’re not familiar with the 1984 Supreme Court decision that took control from the NCAA and led to the Bowl Coalition, then Alliance, then eventually to the BCS itself, check out these articles:

1984 TV ruling led to widening sweep of the college game

Court victory in '84 changed playing field forever

5. bhelmLSU

Well you can claim that it sounds silly but this is the reason we dont have a playoff system. Name another main reason we dont have a playoff then.

Money and ratings would tumble during the regular season if every game wasnt do-or-die. I have read many articles on this. I am sure this topic will be discussed again closer to bowl time.

I dont watch every NFL game because of this.

Sorry but I am sure that everyone loves to sit on the edge of their seats all season long and with a playoff that wouldnt be the majority for most games we watch and love in CFB.:thumb:

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's not often a team looses a game and people outside of their fanbase recognizes that they are better. I think that speaks volumes for our Tigers, of course, a loss tommorrow and it's out of the window- they won't give us two and due. I feel confident we'll win anyway, I must be crazy cause I see at least a 10 pt. margin. I defense might well score too.

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I get your point and it's a good one, but I would still hate to see this team(or any team for that matter) not get a chance to play for a NC when they might very well be the best team by seasons end. I am now somewhat on the fence about the matter. Thanks a lot bhelm.:cool:

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Very ironic considering the shoe was on the other foot last year. They came into our house and outgained us on offense, but still managed to lose. After that game, all I heard was how Auburn was the better team. Which may or may not have been true. This LSU-Auburn series in recent years has been something else.

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

He is still trying to win the playoff in th eastern division.:)

10. bhelmLSU

I-of-the-tigrr, with the 4 team playoff I think we would be in it because I think we will be in the Sugar or Orange Bowls. So the best team still could win in thta system. I know I would be more worried about of situation if we had to play 4 or more games to prove we were the best team in a playoff system.