Tuberville takes Cincy coaching job

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TIGRIS PANTHERA, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Right. I.e., I would have got the hell out of there, too, if I were Tubby, even to Cincy.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'd be interested to see what Deceks would have to say about Tubs and TTU.

I don't know anyone around, or a fan of, that program so all I can surmise is based on what fans have said. By most accounts, it wasn't a marriage made in heaven.

The thing that surprises me the most about the move is it is Cincy—a school part of the "other five." If Tubs has any desire to reach post season championship competition he pretty well nailed the coffin shut himself.

3. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

The winds swirled mightily when undefeated West Virginia visited Lubbock Texas in 2012.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Living in DFW, I know many TT fans. They did not like Tuberville.

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

in addition to Cincinnati being a more desirable place to live than Lubbock, two big reasons Tuberville liked Cincy was:

1) he is old friends with the AD at Cincy, Whit Babcock, dating back to their days at Auburn together
    2) his wife is from Cincy, and his wife's family live in Cincy, so she would have loved for him to take the job there

when ESPN asked Tuberville "Do you intend for [Cincy] to be your last job? Do you intend to make this a destination point?" Tuberville responded, "Yeah, I sure hope it is. My wife's family lives here. ... It's a great place to live."

when ESPN asked him his relationship with the Cincy AD, Tuberville said: "Whit and I go back to the early 2000s, back at Auburn. And he's the reason I'm here today. ... and he explained the situation around here, the possibilities."
    "Twenty-four hours ago I was the head coach at Texas Tech getting ready for a bowl game. And as we talked, there wasn't a lot of interest early, but we talked about the program here, the people. You know, it's all about the people. He talked about the enthusiasm, how emotional they are about their sports here, which is a great city to live in. I've spent some time here with my wife's family, which lives across the river in Indiana, and so it was kind of a growing process on me for the last 12 or 14 hours, and it's funny how things happen so quickly."

as for the Cincy AD, he said he didn’t know what to expect when he first called Tuberville, but he knew that Tuberville’s wife, Suzanne, was from nearby Guilford, Ind., and hoped that might at least make Tuberville pause to consider his offer. The entire transaction took place on the phone. There was no in-person interview.

“I said, Coach, I don’t have a lot of time,” Babcock said. “We’d love to have you. You could bring your wife back. We could work together again. ... I’d love for you to be our football coach. Do you have any interest?’ My heart left when he said, ‘You know what? I might. Let me talk to Suzanne. ”

Later on, Babcock heard words that pleased him even more.

“He said, ‘If I come to be your football coach, I’ll stay,’ ” Babcock said. “I didn’t prompt it and I know that’s certainly no guarantee, but I was really happy to hear that. That made my day.”

It seemed an odd thing for a veteran coach like Tuberville to say so early in the conversation.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There's something I had forgotten about the Tuberville's and Lubbock until earlier this morning.

Do you remember Tubs wife being involved in that traffic accident there with someone being killed as a result? That seems like the kind of event that someone, if given the opportunity, would love to put in the rear-view mirror.

7. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

That is not how I would handle it. I suppose I'm naive but I was taught to face problems and to deal with them in a honorable way.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Too many times, this comes into play. Many coaches, family comes into play as to jobs. If Momma ain't happy, you know the rest.
    I know of two coaches, one passed on a Jimbo offer (HCIW) and one paid his own buy-out, to be near family. Oh, the coach that passed up the HCIW job, that team is in the top 10 right now.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Willie Muschamp

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Nope, but good guess. But UT isn't in the top 10. I'm talking about the HCIW team, not the team he's with now.