Tulane AD wieghs in about NCAA selection

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, May 28, 2005.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I know, and I would like to see UNO added to the list. I want the Louisiana teams to be so strong that they automatically DON'T get paired up in regional/super regional play. I may be the only one that wants to see all Louisiana teams do great - obviously one more than others :wink: - though.

Oh, and the last few seasons, I have just been here in Oklahoma trying to keep up long distance with baseball (and everything else) except for a couple of LSU baseball games per year I was able to make until this year. I was woefully ignorant of Tiger Forums. :dis: Oh, the shame!

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I was at the last Super Regional in which we lost.

It sucked.

But, I am not that worried whatsoever if we do play them again.

They are very over-rated.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Marine, you made me wonder if Tulane is over-rated so I looked up their RPI's for this season, which go back to March 1. March 1 and March 8 they were 13th, and then 16th. Their RPI then jumped and from March 15th through the current ratings they were #4 or above. Since March 29th they were #1 or #2 in the RPI. They have been ranked #4 or higher in the polls all year, being #1 or #2 in all polls most of the year. I can blow off the polls as being biased, but when you add in the RPI ratings they are hard to dismiss.

Now that being said, do I think LSU can beat them? You bet I do. But I believe they are a strong team and LSU must do everything right to knock them off.

At the same time, Tulane MUST do everything right to be able to beat LSU.

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Do you really think Tulane is over rated?

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

This tulane foolishness has gone on long enough. Here's some Skip Bertman historical background on this series:

Tulane, the dominate program of the two in the early 80's, demand and got (thank you Joe Dean) Tuesday games against LSU before series against Alabama, Miss State, or Ole Miss. Those were the reliable powers each season in the West. Tulane was able to pound LSU and their fans could pump their chest. The 1986 regionals changed that.

After LSU dispatched them BEFORE the championship game, Skip told Mr. Dean if the Wave wanted to play, it was going to be on Wednesday. Always tough to strike a tough deal, Joe dean caved in and against LSU faced Tulane on Tuesdays in 1987. The 1987 regionals were at UNO. When LSU sent Tulane home agains did Joe Dean strike the Wednesday deals.

Over the years LSU has sent Tulane packing five or six time, including last year while they returned the favor once.

Tulane's rise this year is due to the NCAA's inconsistant (hey, there's a new angle) on transfers. Baseball you do not have to sit out. Micah Owings, CUSA Player of the Year, held a similar title at Georgia Tech last season. Tulane schedule has been extremely favorable, EXTREMELY favorable. They have yet to face a tough situation. Maybe they are that good, but I think in order to actually win a CWS title, a little adversity is needed to check fortitude. Two Tuesday wins in 2005 over LSU doe not mean they a suddenly light years ahead of this program. I'll take our current staff over Rick Jones and company any day.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Without doubt, I do.

Saw plenty of their games this year.

Would love to see them lose yet again to us.

I could not care less about their RPI.

7. jjtsaints

jjtsaints Founding Member

are you sure about the transfer players not having to sit out a year? i thought if you transfered to another division 1 school you had to sit out a year. I looked up on the NCAA website and it said all players transfering had to sit out 1 year.

http://www2.ncaa.org/legislation_and_governance/eligibility_and_conduct/eligibility.html
    on the right side of the page there is a section about transfers

also yea i think they are overrated but they are still a very good team.

Also Rick Jones is a VERY GOOD coach, i mean he must be doing something right with the way he recruits at Tulane. the facilities aren't that nice so he must be doing something right

8. clair

clair Rockets

Amen! Tulane is a VERY overrated team in a weak conference!

They beat us twice indeed, but against 'middle of the week' starters!

With Dirks and Smith, we can beat them 2 out of 3 no doubt!

They better make it out their regional 1st!

9. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Baseball players transferring do not have to sit. I suppose it has to do with the MLB draft, but if a player wants to tranfer they can do it without sitting out for baseball.

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member