Tulane on BIG 12 Radar??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, Oct 5, 2011.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Not very Louisiana kids go to Tulane you know. At one time only one in eight Tulane students was from Louisiana. They were all Canizaros.

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Sorry about that. I don't know much about tulane or their football program. All I know about tulane is that they suppose to have an exceptional medical studies dept. I just don't feel the rivalry. Maybe I'm just ignorant of the situation. I am in no way degrading anyone else's rivalry feeling towards them or the enjoyment they get from the rivalry. Rivalries are what makes college football great. I just don't feel it for tulane.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree rhans. i've been screaming they are a big 10 school, not an sec school. let em wait for their cherished invitation there, but keep em out of the sec.

now they are a school worthy of having toonces for their logo.

4. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

oh man....poor Toonces can't catch a break here.....

5. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Well, growing up in New Orleans and training next to them in Charity Hospital, they have quite the nose in the air, holier than thou mentality. When LSU played them every year, Tulane considered this their rivalry game and focused their whole season on this one game. They couldn't understand why LSU didn't take them seriously as a rival. They had no clue that Bama and Ole Miss were far bigger rivalries. Now we play them every now and then to throw them a bone.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Since you're not being sanctimonious & preachy, I'll respond. :)

To be honest, the more recent hatred didn't really exist until they beat us in ONE baseball super-regional a decade ago. Nevermind that we had just gone on the most incredible run in modern college athletics by winning 5 CWS titles in 9 years; Tulane suddenly portrayed themselves as our equal in baseball. Needlesss to say, the rivalry heated up. We're in one anothers backyards, so each fanbase has a strong presence at the games, no matter where we were playing. From my experiences, their fans simply could not take the rivalry, ribbing, competition, etc. with any amount of class. And whenever we would beat them, their fans instantly started talking about how much better of a school they thought they were than us (see also: Big 10 syndrome). For a lot of us, that animosity spilled over into football because, hey, why not? It's not a "waste of time" because it doesn't take any time or energy for me not to like them.

7. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

As a New Orleans native, I actually think this would be cool, and could really help the Tulane football program and maybe the prospects of finally getting a new stadium for the Green Wave. The Big-12 would expand it's market and would try to steal some local talent and keep it from going to the SEC powerhouses (uh, us ;) ). Intriguing.

8. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Extra money for New Orleans and the state, too, as I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma fans will travel better than Middle Tennessee State, Army, Syracuse, and whoever else Tulane plays currently.

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Yep, that didn't come immediately to mind, but it is true. I'm sure they would look forward to coming to New Orleans to party even if they think the game won't be that competitive.