Tulane remains in Div. I-A

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Jun 10, 2003.

1. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

And, I know I'm in the minority on this board when I say this, but I'm all in favor of bringing back the Tulane/LSU rivalry. The two schools should play every year in every sport, home-and-home. Yes, even for football.

Why would I flame you for that -- I would love to see that too.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I would prefer a rivalry where one team doesn't win all the time. It's like (I believe) Yogi Berra said when asked about the Yankees- Red Sox rivalry: "It's like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail".

3. JD

JD Founding Member

No question our team and support need to continue to improve to make it a viable rivalry again. But I hope it can return reasonably soon.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. Those 14-0 bumper stickers are 30 years old and getting a little hard to read.

5. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If Tulane stays in Division 1A we should play them every few years but not every year and certainly not a home and home series. I don't mind an occasional game in the Superdome but only if it would be in a year when LSU could have 7 home games in Tiger Stadium. Tulane is a rival in baseball and has the potential to be a good rival in basketball but they will never again be a football rival. To be a true rival you have to be able to actually win a game more than once every 20 or 30 years. As far as playing Texas A&M every year I don't see any advantage to do it. If we played the Aggies every year it could lock us out of scheduling a Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, Nebraska, Miami or a Florida State. We already have real rivals in football. Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss and Cowbell State. None of those teams consider us their biggest rival but every one of those games has real meaning and influences the SEC race.

If LSU is to keep on playing an in state foe every year work Tulane in as part of that rotation. Tulane hasn't been the Mean Greenies for a lot of years. More like the Lean Weenies. Louisiana Tech has a better football program than Tulane.