Turtle Thomas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Jun 17, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I read the article on Turtle in the paper and he just says "they(Miami) don't like me and I don't like them! It doesn't say much other than they supposedly had differences in recruiting philosophy. Anyone here know more than this? We have canes on the board, what do you guys know? Enlighten me please.

2. Geaux Canes

Geaux Canes Founding Member

Here's a link that gets into that topic a little bit. I've always heard that the recruiting thing was the straw that broke the camel's back, but Morris & Thomas didn't see eye to eye on much of anything.

http://mb10.theinsiders.com/fmiami20779frm11.showMessage?topicID=5596.topic

FWIW the guy in the link above that provides that info, usually hits the nail right on the head everytime.

1 person likes this.
  3. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

A couple of years ago, Smoke and Turtle didn't see eye to eye on his recruiting practices either. I don't know if it's been resolved since then or not, but Smoke really didn't like the way Turtle went about some of his recruiting practices. It revolved around the same issue that is discussed on the Miami board in the above post.

1 person likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Turtle said that Miami is the one college who steals signs 90% of the time. He said its they do it more than any other college and its a way of life for them. He said he is also proud of the fact that under Skip they never did it once. I dont know what this implies...I think you should do whatever in the rules to win a game. I dont think stealing signs is cheating..... Maybe its a karma thing...skip obviously had some good karma.

5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Stealing bases? That's part of the game. Why would be be proud of not stealing bases? Somthing isn't right.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

signs....sorry

7. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

I saw this on the Times-Picayune website this morning

No love lost between Miami, LSU's Thomas

Thursday, June 17, 2004
    By Mike Triplett
    Staff writer

BATON ROUGE -- Turtle Thomas said he's never worn the championship ring he won with the Miami Hurricanes in 1999, in his last of 12 seasons as an assistant coach at Miami.

He's never even tried it on.

"They don't like me, and I don't like them," said Thomas, who obviously parted on unfriendly terms before becoming LSU's recruiting coordinator and hitting coach five years ago.

Thomas and Miami coach Jim Morris have declined to discuss the details of Thomas' departure. But the university cited "philosophical and policy differences" when Thomas was asked to leave the team after the '99 season.

Miami-area media reported the differences dealt with recruiting philosophy, although there were no allegations of rules being broken. Thomas has always said that he did not break any rules.

Players rallied around Thomas, and many dedicated the championship to him. Fans and players chanted "Turtle! Turtle!" during the final inning of the super-regional championship game at Miami.

But Thomas and his fellow coaches seldom spoke during the '99 season. Thomas said he has not spoken to Morris and the rest of the staff since he left.

"I don't ever talk to those guys at all," said Thomas, who did not want to elaborate, except to say, "I just want to beat 'em."

That is certainly no secret around the Tigers' clubhouse this week.

"Turtle's making sure we're as ready as he is, that we want to win as bad as he does," LSU junior Clay Harris said. "It's kind of funny watching him try to get us into it. Yeah, he really wants this game. So hopefully we can go out and win it for him."

Thomas, 51, who was a Hurricanes coach when they lost to LSU in the 1996 championship game, has long been considered one of the top recruiters in college baseball. His past four recruiting classes at LSU were ranked in the top six nationally by Collegiate Baseball. His Miami classes were ranked in the top 10 every year from 1989 to 1999, including No. 1 in '89, '92 and '94.

Morris, who is in his 11th season at Miami, said he did not wish to comment on his relationship with Thomas.

"I don't think it's a subject that needs to be addressed," Morris said.

Sounds like a whining Miami to me... :dis: :dis: :dis:

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think sign stealing is one of those unwritten rules of baseball like not stealing bases when your team is up by 7 or 8 runs. I'm not sure but I don't think there is a written rule against it. If its legal then they should do it.

9. Geaux Canes

Geaux Canes Founding Member

:nope: Not really

10. Cane1992

Cane1992 Freshman

lsucurlyq...

"I don't think it's a subject that needs to be addressed," Morris said.

Sounds like a whining Miami to me... :dis: :dis: :dis:"

How so???:confused:

Sounds like class to me. Coach Morris doesn't want to trash a guy or touch on a subject that should be kept private.