TV delay--another conspiracy? :)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CottonBowl'66, Sep 29, 2003.

1. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

I like to turn down the TV volume on LSU games and listen to the local LSU feed over the radio while I watch the game on TV.

I notice that some TV broadcasts have about a six-to-eight second delay on their picture, at least it seems so, and sometimes the radio guy tells what happens on the play even before the ball is snapped on TV.

It is so annoying that I have to turn the radio off and listen to the TV announcers.

Is this to reduce the number of people who turn down the TV sound during games? Does anyone know?

If so, I am calling my Congressman. The right to turn down the TV sound is in the Bill of Rights, isnt' it? lol

2. LSUGeauxTigers1

LSUGeauxTigers1 Founding Member

Twilight Zone music plays....:shock:

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

You must have Direct TV or Satellite. I have Direct TV and the days of turning down the idiots and turning up the homer calls are over. Its a 7 second delay on Satallite. Sucks when I am on the phone and I hear a friend yelling about a TD and they are just getting up to the line to hike it..

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Its not a conspiracy. The TV feeds have way more hops than the radio broadcast. On the radio, the signal goes straight from the announcers into the air and to your radio. The TV signal has to bounce off satelites, back down through your cable provider, and then into your tv. It just has further to travel.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its only about a 2 second delay on Cox Cable but its still annoying as hell to hear that a play was stopped for no gain as I am watching Mauck hand the ball to Addai.

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

the delay also helps in case something bizarre was to happen, lets say an announcer dropping an f-bomb, or some nude women running onto the field after Saban, or a freak accident or injury like at the wrestling event a few years ago that killed Owen Hart.

never know with live tv...i even notice a difference in the delay on different tv's in my house with direct tv by a second or two

7. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

I think that the delay is because it takes longer to transmit a video AND audio signal than it does just an audio signal. Video takes up more bandwith than audio. When you combine the two (a tv broadcast) you are transmitting much more data than just audio (a radio broadcast), thus it takes longer to reach it's destination. Ever notice how much longer it takes to download a video clip compared to an audio clip from the internet?

8. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

This long TV delay is on regular cable. I wish the radio would put a longer delay on their broadcast so I could listen to them during the games.

9. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

And all this time I just thought that the radio announcers were psychic! :)