Tweaking the BCS

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CottonBowl'66, Dec 8, 2003.

1. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

The BCS will stay in effect for two more years, but instead of throwing it out, I think they should just adjust it further.

First elevate another bowl to BCS status. The Cotton Bowl might be the obvious choice.

Let the 8 BCS teams go to four BCS bowls. This year it would be the Cotton, Fiesta, Rose, and Orange. Match the #1 and #4 BCS teams in one bowl game and the #2 and #3 BCS teams in a second bowl game.

The other two BCS bowls could fill their slots with the remaining BCS teams or with a combination of that and traditional tie-ins.

Then have the winners of those two top BCS games play a week later in the bowl that was selected that year to have the NC game. This year it would be the Sugar Bowl.

It would only extend the season for two teams by one game, and I think in most seasons this would take care of any controversy.

It is seldom when the argument over the NC involves more than four teams.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The only tweak they need to add is 1.
    If you dont win your conference you are ineligible. This would have solved the mess 2 years ago with Nebraska and this one with OU....

Otherwise the system works.

The only problem is only the Big 12 and SEC have the issue of an actual championship game. However we chose (The sec) to make big bucks and have this game. So we should not bitch. If other conferences want to be pansy's so be it.

3. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

I agree with this except for one thing. Play 1vs4, 2vs3 at the end of the season. You have 3-4 weeks, and having to wait the week after cheapens the other bowls. Then you can match the winner of the 2 games in the bowls.

4. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Thats a good plan, but its not going to happen. I like this idea, how about get rid of the quality win sh*t because it doesn't work (ie: LSU beating UGA twice when they're top 10 and doesn't get one decimal of a quality point) and adding a 1 point deduction for winning you conference. This would've put Nebraska out of the game two years ago and would put LSU and USC in the NC game this year. Problem solved.

*Just wondering, can anyone see my sig pic, I know on another board it came up as a red x, but I can see it fine...

5. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I can see your picture of Matt Mauck just fine in your sig...

:D