Tweet about JaMarcus Russell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Jun 20, 2010.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

No, it isn't a coincidence.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Raiders fans welcome JaMarcus Russell back to Oakland | ProFootballTalk.com

"Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune writes that Russell arrived wearing a University of Alabama hat and jacket, with sunglasses on. (Either he was hoping not to be noticed or he's wants to piss off the one fanbase that still loves him.)"

Not really this fan base doesn't really like him anymore either....
    The moment we saw his "Bama Boy" stuff we wrote him off pretty quick......

He's all yours Bama, you guys can continue to say "He made a mistake not going to Bama, he should have gone to Bama, etc"

Your right, agreed 100% no argument from me.. He is all BAMA !!!!!!

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I guess there's no reason to revisit all the Russell versus Brady Quinn threads.:shock:

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Although very true, but could his dismissal end up being a blessing in disguise. In that had he stayed some of our deficiencies may have not shown as they have over the past 2 seasons. Due to these deficiencies coming to light Miles has made some pretty impressive changes in the coaching staff. Changes that we haven't yet seen how they are going to play out in the long run, but should they turn out to be BIG positives the loss of RP will have ended up being a somewhat of a benefit to the team in the long run.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

+1

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Rohan overachieved here IMO.

the '01 team that Rohan lead was not nearly as good as the '03 NC team.
    yet Ro managed to win an SEC title and a BCS Bowl game.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

I understand where you're coming from but all teams have "deficiencies" and good coaches hide them as much as possible.

As far as those deficiencies you mention, I can't for the life of me, understand how our Oline could be such a huge area of concern considering THAT is "Miles' position" but guess stuff happens.

8. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Yeah sorry that's complete BS. Matt Flynn was pretty bad until his SR year, and just slightly above average even then. JaMarcus may not have been perfect, but he was a great QB during his time at LSU and fans must appreciate that. LOL at anyone thinking Matt Flynn was more equipped to be the starter here at any point of Russell's career.

As for J-Rock now sporting Alabama gear, oh well, his loss.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't see how you can say it's bs, but at the same time i don't see how we can say it isn't. I don't think Matt Flynn would have fumbled at the 1 yard line going into score against Florida though.

Regardless, Jamarcus is a turd.

10. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

How do you know the fumbled snap wasn't on the center? Also, JaMarcus wasn't the only one to put the ball on the ground that day, I remember because I was there. Early Doucet fumbled the opening KO of the 2nd half. Brandon LaFell mistimed a jump leading to an INT, etc. The whole team was in quicksand that day. Russell moved the ball at will on the Gators in the second half, but the damage was already done.

As for Flynn prior to his last season, I seem to remember his lack of arm strength being all too apparent every time he played (see his first throw of '05 SEC CG). He also refused to keep his eyes down field when scrambling and would pass up open receivers.

His flaws have been whitewashed, and Russell's amplified, by the 2007 National Championship. But that doesn't mean Flynn was perfect in 07. He was a great leader, a great competitor, and eventually a national champion, but he made many a mistake himself. Not to mention, he lost the same amount of games that Russell did as a starter the year before. Who's to say we aren't 14-0 with an experienced Russell back for his senior year?

Or were you guys unhappy with 3,000 yards (only Tiger QB to do that other than Rohan) a 28-8 TD-INT (28 TDs is tied with Mauck for best single-season total in school history) ratio and a 68% completions percentage? (Flynn's % was 56.)

As much as I love Flynn and what he gave us in the '07 season, it's complete BS to discredit what JaMarcus Russell did here, all because he fumbled a few times and lost 2 games as a junior.

Unless we never lost a single game with Flynn under center and he never committed a single turnover, and I'm just misremembering all this?

The bottom line- don't let the present skew your view of the past. Russell was a great QB in college, probably the best LSU's ever had. Championship or no championship, that's how it is. Disappointing pro career or not, that's how it is. 'Bama traitor or not, that's how it is.

Matt Flynn will forever be a starting QB on a national championship team at LSU, but only because JaMarcus Russell left early.

1 person likes this.