Tweet about JaMarcus Russell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

check the pic in the link above your post. sure as hell is a Bama cap.:huh:

"Somehow we don’t think any of the $39 million Russell “earned” from the Raiders is going back to fans. Come on, he needs that money to buy Alabama gear!"

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

You make the call. University of Alabama? Or the state of Alabama's state animal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Good call, glad to finally see visual evidence, I scoured google images for a while and couldn't get anything. Sucks to see him turn his back on LSU like that.

Still doesn't make him a lesser QB while he was here. Anyone who tries to claim Flynn was better is letting current events taint their view of unequivocal facts.

4. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

QBLuke

Don't get me wrong, I am not putting Russell up on a cross, he played hard and that is all I expect, but do I think we had a better chance with Flynn... the answer is yes, but we will never know.

I would disagree with you on the defense in that game though, only 288 yards of offense even though the LSU offense turned it over 5 times. Imagine holding the 2006 Florida gators to 288 of total offense when your own offense turned the ball over almost half the possessions.

I don't blame him for everything, I knew when Flynn was a senior we would have a chance, we never had a chance with Russell, not that Russell was horrible, because he for sure wasn't. It wasn't what we needed though.

5. TIGERS>sooners

TIGERS>sooners Founding Member

6. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

Cecil Collins, oh wait....that ended up being McNeese States problem, right?

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Fixed it for ya!

8. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Oh, really?

The 2007 team had 100 fewer yards passing and 1 less TD passing than the 2006 team. That is really a big difference.

Scoring:

2006: 33 ppg
    2007: 39 ppg

Total offense:

2006: 5427 yds
    2007: 6152 yds

Defense:

2006: 12 ppg
    2007: 20 ppg

I know both teams had the same record, but if LSU's defense wasn't so horrible the second half of the 2007 season, they would've been undefeated that year. The 2007 offense was the best LSU had in recent memory, if not ever.

JR and "good QB" don't belong in the same sentence. JR couldn't read a defense, locked on 1 receiver each play relying on his arm strength to bail him out. He definitely had the tools to be great, he just lacked the brains to be great.

And QB, please check my spelling. I don't have the time. Thanks.

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

You're right. He only finished third in the country in passing efficiency as a junior, gave LSU its second 3,000 yard season EVER and tied the record for most TD passes in a season, all while throwing just 8 interceptions. I don't know where I ever got the idea that he was good.

As for your statistical comparison of our passing games in 2006 and 2007, when I said we got superior QB play I was referring directly to the starter, Matt Flynn. Surely you're not trying to give him credit for Ryan Perrilloux's 8 TD passes or 700 yards are you?

Russell was a better QB than Flynn, and this is an unequivocal fact. If Pat White doesn't get hurt against Pittsburgh, we're 12-2 and in the Sugar Bowl just like the year before. So leave the crystal football out of it, leave the stats that you merged with Perrilloux's out of it, and consider these numbers, all from '06 and '07 of course:

Flynn threw 21 touchdowns. Russell 28.

Flynn threw 11 interceptions. Russell 8.

Flynn completed 56% of his passes. Russell 67.

Flynn threw for 2407 yards. Russell 3100.

Flynn averaged 6.7 YPA. Russell 9.1.

Flynn took 26 sacks. Russell 16.

See where I'm going with this? I'll let his bio from lsusports.net tell the rest:

Why anyone would mistake this bio for that of a good QB is beyond me. You're right he was terrible.

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

1 person likes this.