Tyrus Thomas injury ???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, Feb 25, 2006.

1. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Anyone know exactly what it is? I hope Brady will sit him for the next 2 weeks if it is anything serious-- remember how much better Addai looked after resting his ankle for a few weeks.

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

High ankle sprain. X-rays negative. That's what I hear anyway.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

High ankle sprains can nag someone for a while. It was somewhat positive that he was able to run on the ankle after it happened.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Advocate is reporting it as the same injury that nagged Skyler in '04.

5. Cajun J

Cajun J Founding Member

HOLY CRAP!!!! Tyrus won't be able to return punts!!!

6. friday

friday Founding Member

I haven't read the advocate article, but a sprained ankle in BB is a little more serious than one for a football player. first off, BB players have no give when they land on the floor. secondly, the non-stop jumping and risk of landing on another's foot is much higher. so, I hope that we rest him for the tourney.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I would think not playing him on Tuesday against S. Car. is a given. That gives at least a week between the injury and the Ole Miss game, another one he can sit, IMO.

You may even "get away" with sitting him the Friday of the first SEC Tourney game, which makes it 2 weeks exactly from date of injury before he's back in action.

The risk of having him get out of some sort of a groove by sitting is dwarfed by the risk of having this injury really hamper him, say, 3 weeks from now when LSU is in a first round match with a scrappy 12 or 13 seed.

8. Berge

Berge Founding Member

He was using crutches at the Lady Tigers game

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

unfortunately, i think this type of injury is not just worse for a basketball player, but is especially bad for a player like tt. gd would probably be able to handle it better because we all know he doesnt rely on jumping as much.

10. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

The good news:

1. If you look at the video of the injury, he caught his toe/twisted his foot going forward-- this is not the Skylar Green type injury (crushing your foot/ankle as it is pinned against the ground)

2. If the Annointed One (CJB) will keep him off the court until the NCAAs, he will not have to play until Mar 18 or 19- That's a full 3 weeks of rest, and we would only use him for the second game that weekend- Should be in good shape in time for the Sweet 16.

Now this assumes common sense-- if he is trotted out there for 5 mins here and there for Ole Miss and the SEC Tourney, it will not get well and he will be useless in the NCAAs.