U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by KyleK, Apr 29, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

that is kind of like having nazi germany running the commission on Jewish Rights.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

the UN building should be razed and turned into a park for me to ride my bike. i can get there by bike in 10 minutes. i could go there and fly kites.

3. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

At least the space would not be wasted

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

right. as it stands it is the most wasted piece of real estate on earth.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And valuable

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There was nothing to object to, it was a procedural issue and the US is not currently on the commission. Obama recently successfully prevented them from being seated on the UN Human Rights Commission, where we do have a seat.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i disagree. i am more inclined to believe that the us delegation could not do anything about it because of the archaic rules. i dont believe ANY us president would allow it to happen if they had a way to stop it for one really big, and in common, reason. the first lady.

there has been no first lady in my life time that, imo, wouldnt let her husband know in no uncertain terms how she felt about women being abused, degraded, and denied virtrually every right one can think of. i dont care if its gray haired granny barbara or hell cat hillary. first ladies have an interest in politics and a strong will. they have to be to go through what it takes to get their husbands elected. and no matter how demure they might seem, i would bet a large sum of money on any of em that they would let the president know, in no uncertain terms, that the iran/women's rights commission deal was not acceptable if the us had a say in it.

i dont care what end of the political spectrum a woman is on. i have never met a woman (far left or far right) that didnt deplore the way women are treated in islamic countries. it seems that only brainwashed extreme islamic women think its normal, but i have never met one of them. in college, i did know a couple of muslim women that came to the states to study, and they did not want to go back home (pakistan) because they could not handle the way women were treated in their society, and that was before it got as bad as it is now in many places. some women, like me, are very interested in the subject, and we read as much as we can about it. other women, not so much, but they do know how it is and find it reprehensible.

imo, this wasnt just allowed to happen if for no other reason than obama knew he would never get any again it he willingly allowed it to happen.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Don't believe that's true Mr. Defender of all things Obama, but I don't have the time or the inclination to research the issue right now.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Translation: I don't know and I don't care. Just ignore my noise.

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

All I know is that in 1976 or maybe 1977, I was at a private party in the Officers Club at Bandar Abbas Naval Base.

All the Iranian officers, including many kin to the SHAH at the time, had their wives and ALL were smokin hot and danced SMOKIN HOT and flirted with this dumb American Navy LT, SMOKIN HOT!

Most of these women's skin was almost golden. I shudder to think what happened to such talent after the Shah was sacked. I know a couple of the officers were murdered, one, the Shah's nephew, shot down on the street in Paris.

I am telling you, I would stand up for that group of ladies rights, any day! Especially their right to PARTY!!!!!

hwr